ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Type: First passport after naturalisation + Family name change after naturalisation in maiden name (basis of marriage) F

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kashish
India

Type: First passport after naturalisation + Family name change after naturalisation in maiden name (basis of marriage) F

Post by kashish » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:18 pm

Type: First British passport after naturalisation + Family name change (basis of marriage)
Hi ,
I have applied for the British passport last week 28th Feb.
I wanted to have my last name changed . My Indian passport doesn't have my family name changed.
So , I have submitted my original marriage certificate which was in English and registered in India. It was also laminated .
But Today , I have received an email from HM passport office , asking for marriage certificate as they don't accept laminated one .

What options do I have now ? I am worried , if this delays then I will have to postpone my travel to India in July. After this I will have to apply for OCI too .

1. Is it possible for them to continue with the same application without changing my last name so that I don't have to submit a new application ?
Or
2. do I need to get the original marriage certificate again from India which would take more time .

thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Type: First passport after naturalisation + Family name change after naturalisation in maiden name (basis of marriag

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:05 pm

First of all, official documents (including naturalisation certificates) should not be laminated - this prevents HMPO to carry out their validation checks on the physical document, includes paper, printing,etc. I know these are precious documents but laminating should be avoided unless it's specifically permitted.

Quote from HMPO policy: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... accessible
"When we receive a customer’s document, we will check for damage, counterfeiting or potential fraudulent tampering. We call this a document validation check."

As for your option 1, it's probably best to contact HMPO to see whether they would consider dropping the name change portion of the application. Or whether you need to start a new application. Option 2 is for another day.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.