ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

entering uk on student visa

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jaf
Newly Registered

entering uk on student visa

Post by jaf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:22 pm

hi
i have already posted my query elsewhere but on re-reading it i'm not sure i made myself clear...

my australian boyfriend is currently applying for a business HND course. on receiving an offer he will then be completing an application for a student visa. the rules seem clear about how many hours he can work and when on commencing his course which we have no problems with but what i can't seem to find out is how long BEFORE his course starts will his student visa be valid?

i'm assuming there must be some time margin that allows international students some time to settle in before starting their study but is it specified? or would they simply be here as a visitor until the start of the course validates the student visa?

further to that, would the attempt to do a few weeks' work at the same time as sorting accomodation/course materials etc. be a violation of the rules of study/work as stipulated in the student visa conditions.

grateful,
jessica

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:41 pm

I don't think the authorization to work is hard-bound by the classes start date - I believe his status in the UK as a student (as opposed to that of a visitor, for example) gives him such permission. Now as for the time of entry, I believe that should be worked out between the applicant and the British dip. post - it would help if at the time of application for a student visa he presented a specific, dated "plan of action prior to study", which would include loking for accomodation and whatever else he deems necessary. This way he could request a specific valifity date for a visa, that will be reasonable in advance of the classes start.

I regret I can't give you precise details on this, but believe it's best to contact the specific dip. post that will be processing him.