ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Qualifying Period Help please?!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hussain2017
England

Qualifying Period Help please?!

Post by hussain2017 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:20 pm

Hello;

I require your help.
My grandad is of Pakistani nationality with Indefinite leave to remain. He is above the age of 70 and married to a British Citizen. We are planning to apply for his British Citizenship Naturilization on April 14th 2023.

The issue here is that at 5 year qualifying period, he was present in the UK physically 5 years back from the application date and his absences are total 412 days.

At 3 Year qualifying period (due to wife being british) he was NOT physically present in the UK 3 years back from the application date and his absences were only 200.

He meets the 90 day absences in last 12 month rule under both options.

My question is; DOES HE HAVE TO QUALIFY UNDER THE 3 YEAR PERIOD OR CAN HE STILL APPLY IN HIS OWN RIGHT UNDER THE 5 YEAR QUALIFYING PERIOD (where he was present physically in the UK 5 years back from the application date) ?

Obviously he does NOT meet the condition of being PHYSICALLY PRESENT in the UK 3 years back from Application date. Please help.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Qualifying Period Help please?!

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:52 pm

One can apply under either rule, but can't you choose another day to apply which moves the date 3 years back to when he was present in the UK? A few days or even weeks delay in applying could make it more straightforward. What is the significance of 14th April?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

hussain2017
England

Post by hussain2017 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:32 am

Unfortunately not as he wants his application to be submitted as soon as possible.
I cannot chose another date until after 16th June as he was away for 90 days between 19 March 2020 to 16th June 2020 in Pakistan. So going by your answer, He CAN apply based on 5 Year Qualifying Period even though his wife is British? Can you tell me how i would go about doing that? Should i mention his marriage in the application? Should i state “I want to apply on 5 year period in the cover letter”, any special docs i need to present?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:18 am

The application will ask whether married and details of spouse. But you can attach a covering note saying it’s an application under the 5 year route. And not add documents about marriage. The result will be the same whether 5 or 3 year route.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:56 am

hussain2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:32 am
Unfortunately not as he wants his application to be submitted as soon as possible.
I cannot chose another date until after 16th June as he was away for 90 days between 19 March 2020 to 16th June 2020 in Pakistan. So going by your answer, He CAN apply based on 5 Year Qualifying Period even though his wife is British? Can you tell me how i would go about doing that? Should i mention his marriage in the application? Should i state “I want to apply on 5 year period in the cover letter”, any special docs i need to present?

Thanks
Also note that for him to apply under the 5 year route in his own right, he needs to have held the ILR for 1 year.
That's a period that is overlooked if married to a Brit.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

hussain2017
England

Post by hussain2017 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:01 pm

My grandfather has held the indefinate leave to remain for 10 years. So would it be ok for him to apply under the 5 year route and not the 3 year route?

hussain2017
England

Post by hussain2017 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:18 am
The application will ask whether married and details of spouse. But you can attach a covering note saying it’s an application under the 5 year route. And not add documents about marriage. The result will be the same whether 5 or 3 year route.
Can you elaborate on what you mean the result would be the same please? Another crucial info i have to tell you is that he has held indefinite leave to remain for 10 years.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:05 pm

hussain2017 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:01 pm
My grandfather has held the indefinate leave to remain for 10 years. So would it be ok for him to apply under the 5 year route and not the 3 year route?
Yes he can apply on 5 year route - years on ILR is ok as long as it is minimum of 1 - no upper limit.
BTW, years ago I applied under 5 years though I could have gone under 3 years - no issue (and I had ILR/Permanent Residence much longer than your grandfather...

Result = British Citizenship!

hussain2017
England

Post by hussain2017 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:25 pm

Great thank you for your help.