ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship application - Traffic offences

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vdc2000
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish Citizenship application - Traffic offences

Post by vdc2000 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:05 am

Hi all,

I recently ( a few days ago ) sent by post my Irish citizenship application form, but I realised that I didn't said yes on question 11.3
Do you have any convictions in the State or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgements made against you?

I was fined in dec 2018 - for Crossing no entry sign by Garda
The fine was paid and I have the proof of payment.

What should I do now, since I don't even have an application number yet?
Can this be amended to my application in the future when I get an application number, before Garda vetting?

Or don't do anything unless if I received a request?

Thank You!

samach
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: Irish Citizenship application - Traffic offences

Post by samach » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:01 pm

I believe you should have said YES to 11.1 and NO to 11.3 (since you paid the fine and did not get a conviction)

There is no point reaching out to the department if you do not have an acknowledgement number. Once you have that, you can email them stating your mistake

samach
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by samach » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:07 pm

And by acknowledge number I mean Application Number

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:49 pm

I would amend the mistake as soon as I spotted it, which in this case would mean perhaps sending a registered letter of explanation, as well as a certified copy of the proof of payment of the fine, whilst saying that you can send the original as soon as you have an application number so as it doesnt get lost. I would also send an email with all the above attached.

This makes for an honest approach. It is the Departments issue that they do not allocate application numbers quickly, and not the applicants.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:15 pm

samach is right. You should inform them that you should have said yes to question 11.1. A brief letter of remorse also helps. We barely see anyone getting rejected due to a traffic offence (other than those serious ones like excessive speeding and DUI).

You can reach out to them once you get an application number. Do not contact them without an application number, as that will simply make things even worse. No clerks will be happy to open an envelope to find no application numbers and have to manually search for your passport details in order to find where your application is.

You do not need to send a certified copy of proof of payment. A regular photocopy or online printout is sufficient. They will be checked against by Gardai during the eVetting process and they will be able to locate your record of offence and payment anyway.

samsam1971
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by samsam1971 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:28 pm

I remembered that I got 3 penalty notices for 3 different journeys in different dates from eFlow that I did pass on M50 motorway and didn't pay the toll fees,each of which was paid the next day . would these considered offences according to citizenship application question

11.1 Have you ever committed any offences against the laws of Ireland or any overseas country?

Or would it be considered convictions as per the application question

11.3 Do you have any convictions in the matter State or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgments made against you?

because i answered NO for both of them, do i have to declare that to citizenship Division?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:56 am

samsam1971 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:28 pm
I remembered that I got 3 penalty notices for 3 different journeys in different dates from eFlow that I did pass on M50 motorway and didn't pay the toll fees,each of which was paid the next day . would these considered offences according to citizenship application question

11.1 Have you ever committed any offences against the laws of Ireland or any overseas country?

11.3 Do you have any convictions in the matter State or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil judgments made against you?

because i answered NO for both of them, do i have to declare that to citizenship Division?
You don’t get ‘penalty notice’ if you don’t pay toll fees. You simply get a fine from a fee collector, not law enforcement.

samsam1971
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by samsam1971 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:40 am

Thank you littlerr

Yes its a fine and a notice of collection from eFlow, subject of the letter ( First Penalty Notice - Standard Toll Request *STR*) in line with the M50 Bye-Law of 2008 roads And The Roads Acts Of 1993 to 2015.

so would these considered offences according to citizenship application question

because i answered NO for both of them,

Do i have to declare that fines to citizenship Division please? and to correct my answers on any of the questions?

Thank you