ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refugee - Part of Birth Certificate from my home country is missing

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OneTrickPony
United Kingdom

Refugee - Part of Birth Certificate from my home country is missing

Post by OneTrickPony » Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:07 am

I have been naturalised as a British citizen and I just realized a part of my birth certificate is missing. It was like a single small piece of paper inside the hard case (the one part that states my citizenship in my country of birth). I do not know for sure but I suspect with a good probability that the Home Office just failed to return it. I really need my translated birth certificate now in order to get married as part of requirements. I already learned that the Home office likes to keep any originals of the documents that I sent them such as my home country passports, expired or not, they never returned them to me. Is it safe for me to request that part of my birth certificate now from the Home office? Another option I have is to go to my home country's embassy and request a new one. But which option would be safer for me? To check if I can request it from the Home Office or to go to my embassy and fill the application to restore it? Will it by any chance compromise my British Citizenship? I mean I am not really planning to travel to my country of birth any time soon but what if the home office thinks I want to. I was a refugee in the near past and obviously was not allowed to travel to my home country. Maybe weird question but still.

glas195
United Kingdom

Re: Refugee - Part of Birth Certificate from my home country is missing

Post by glas195 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:59 pm

OneTrickPony wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:07 am
I have been naturalised as a British citizen and I just realized a part of my birth certificate is missing. It was like a single small piece of paper inside the hard case (the one part that states my citizenship in my country of birth). I do not know for sure but I suspect with a good probability that the Home Office just failed to return it. I really need my translated birth certificate now in order to get married as part of requirements. I already learned that the Home office likes to keep any originals of the documents that I sent them such as my home country passports, expired or not, they never returned them to me. Is it safe for me to request that part of my birth certificate now from the Home office? Another option I have is to go to my home country's embassy and request a new one. But which option would be safer for me? To check if I can request it from the Home Office or to go to my embassy and fill the application to restore it? Will it by any chance compromise my British Citizenship? I mean I am not really planning to travel to my country of birth any time soon but what if the home office thinks I want to. I was a refugee in the near past and obviously was not allowed to travel to my home country. Maybe weird question but still.
You are now a British citizen and refugee law no longer applies to you. You can request your originals back from the home office and/or travel to your home country without justifying yourself to anyone as it is your right as a British citizen and you are now under the protection of the UK.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:29 pm

Note his guidance on gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

"Travelling abroad
As a dual national you cannot get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship.
For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you cannot get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China."

Holding a British passport in itself is no protection if you are victimised in your country of origin ... we know there's diplomatic involvement in high-level human rights breaches but the British government will/can only do so much.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

glas195
United Kingdom

Post by glas195 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:03 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:29 pm
Note his guidance on gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

"Travelling abroad
As a dual national you cannot get diplomatic help from the British government when you are in the other country where you hold citizenship.
For example, if you hold both British and Chinese citizenship you cannot get diplomatic help from the UK when you’re in China."

Holding a British passport in itself is no protection if you are victimised in your country of origin ... we know there's diplomatic involvement in high-level human rights breaches but the British government will/can only do so much.
Of course. But he/she doesn't have to worry about previously being on a refugee leave to remain as being a barrier to travel to his/her home country.