ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Renew

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sorrels_mo
Newly Registered
Ireland

ILR Renew

Post by sorrels_mo » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:32 pm

Hi,

I currently hold Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) obtained through the Tier 2 route, and my current Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is valid until December 2024. I understand that after this date, all documents may be digital.

My question is whether I would need to renew my ILR after a certain period of time, such as 5 or 10 years, if I choose not to apply for citizenship but wish to remain in the UK based on my ILR status.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Renew

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:37 pm

If you continue to live in the uk, you do not renew ILR. It is an Indefinite status. You only lose it if you leave the uk for 2 or more years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:42 pm

As Char pointed out, ILR status is permanent and does not expire so the BRP expiry card has no bearing on your ILR status. BRP currently is simply used to SHOW/PROVE your status when required. A new digital proof of status system will be introduced very likely from early 2024. After the end of 2024, that system will be used to SHOW/PROVE your status instead of a BRP. You do not need to take any action at all.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

sorrels_mo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by sorrels_mo » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:54 pm

Thank you for clarifying.

Much appreciated