ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Notary Public declined to agree to "person applying is personally known to you" during witnessing of application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jb425
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Notary Public declined to agree to "person applying is personally known to you" during witnessing of application

Post by jb425 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:07 pm

Hello all, I finally have all my documents together for my foreign birth registration and have applied online as well as paid my £270~ fee. I need to get my application form witnessed but since I don't know any police officers or priests etc that would be able to witness my application I used a Notary Public who has happily stamped my photocopies as genuine and checked my identification and agreed to witness the signing of my application form.

However - when he witnessed my application he put a line through the part that says "I certify that the applicant who has signed Section D above in my presence, is personally known to me" as, well... he doesn't personally know me since it was the first time we met. He crossed it out and put a correction above it that says "I am a Notary Public". He then signed and stamped the application. I'm now deeply worried my application will be rejected as he has declined to say he personally knows me which is required from the person witnessing.

Should I get this redone elsewhere or do you think I'll be OK here?

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Re: Notary Public declined to agree to "person applying is personally known to you" during witnessing of application

Post by Rxp2023 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 pm

I had a similar concern, I used a solicitor (lawyer) who I actually went to school with and am friends on Facebook with plus have mutual friends and acquaintances. Anyway, when she read that particular line on the application form, she said I would have to get someone else to sign that bit as she didn’t know me personally (I guess she couldn’t remember me, school was a long time ago, but still…). However, she did actually come around in the end and sign it for me, and no verifying contact was ever made to her, my FBR went through ok. Just a little background as I briefly had the same fear that you had.

My advice would be to get somebody else to sign the form, as if there is any issue with your paperwork it will mean long (months) delays for you. There’s quite a long list of suitable witnesses, maybe ask family and friends if they know any profession from the list, or maybe go to your local police station as I’m sure they can verify that you are who you say you are. Anyway, best of luck, it’s a pain in the arse I know

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Notary Public declined to agree to "person applying is personally known to you" during witnessing of application

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun May 07, 2023 7:24 am

Rxp2023 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 pm
I had a similar concern, I used a solicitor (lawyer) who I actually went to school with and am friends on Facebook with plus have mutual friends and acquaintances. Anyway, when she read that particular line on the application form, she said I would have to get someone else to sign that bit as she didn’t know me personally (I guess she couldn’t remember me, school was a long time ago, but still…). However, she did actually come around in the end and sign it for me, and no verifying contact was ever made to her, my FBR went through ok. Just a little background as I briefly had the same fear that you had.

My advice would be to get somebody else to sign the form, as if there is any issue with your paperwork it will mean long (months) delays for you. There’s quite a long list of suitable witnesses, maybe ask family and friends if they know any profession from the list, or maybe go to your local police station as I’m sure they can verify that you are who you say you are. Anyway, best of luck, it’s a pain in the arse I know
I found this very strange when I did mine as well. I used a notary public service at shipping store, and she just looked at me, looked at my passport which I provided her and signed it no problem. I assumed that in the case of someone who witnesses documents as a job, they require a valid ID and that's how they verify your identity. They don't need to personally know you, they verify your ID that way. I suppose in the case of a solicitor or other type of witness this may apply more, but with a notary public it's a weird requirement. I would try to get it redone with someone who won't cross out the line so as to avoid any delays.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 07, 2023 10:28 am

The Witnesses list includes a Notary Public, who should also personally know the applicant.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.