ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Births Registration through grandparent - does parent need to register first?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dividing4828
Newly Registered
United States of America

Foreign Births Registration through grandparent - does parent need to register first?

Post by Dividing4828 » Mon May 08, 2023 6:53 pm

Hey, sorry if this question has been asked a million times here already. I want to apply for Irish citizenship through my grandmother. My mom currently does not have citizenship as far as I know.

In the section Details of the parent through whom Irish citizenship is said to be derived, there are required fields for Date of foreign births registration (dd/mm/yyyy), FBR entry number, and Office from which parent's FBR was issued.

That makes me assume my mother needs to get her citizenship first before I can. Is that correct?

Thank you for your help!

corky100
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Births Registration through grandparent - does parent need to register first?

Post by corky100 » Tue May 09, 2023 4:00 pm

You've ticked the wrong box.

"Important: Please note that this question relates to how the PARENT acquired Irish citizenship"

Tick:-

"Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland"

Dividing4828
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Births Registration through grandparent - does parent need to register first?

Post by Dividing4828 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:26 am

corky100 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:00 pm
You've ticked the wrong box.

"Important: Please note that this question relates to how the PARENT acquired Irish citizenship"

Tick:-

"Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland"
Thank you! You were correct :)

Dudleyconnell
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Dudleyconnell » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:24 pm

No. Your parent does not need to be Irish. Just your grandparent.

Just a little advice tho, take a photo of all the documents that you send. One of mine got lost and therefore considered an incomplete application. It's been 20 months from my first application - and 6 months since having to resend my parents marriage certificate.

Good luck