ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

domestic abuse victim

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tajammul77

domestic abuse victim

Post by tajammul77 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:28 pm

Hi,

I got ILR on the basis of domestic abuse victim. it's been one year since i got my ILR. can i apply for naturalization but i'm in the UK just for 3 years. do I have to do english and life in the UK test as well.

This message is behalf of someone

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: domestic abuse victim

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 09, 2023 10:15 pm

tajammul77 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:28 pm
Hi,

I got ILR on the basis of domestic abuse victim. it's been one year since i got my ILR. can i apply for naturalization but i'm in the UK just for 3 years. do I have to do english and life in the UK test as well.

Thanks
Note the route to ILR is not relevant for naturalisation - ILR is the basic requirement.
Unless "someone" is spouse of a British citizen they need to have 5 years of lawful residency, wait another 2 years.
If tests were required for ILR they could be re-used for naturalisation.
Please do review the complete guidance issued by UKVI:
Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: domestic abuse victim

Post by Ticktack » Wed May 10, 2023 1:05 pm

tajammul77 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:28 pm
Hi,

Thanks
Most DV victims are given ILR without going through the normal hoops of residency and language requirements. This is done in order to give them their life back. No fear of deportation from spouse threatening to tell the HO, some sort of mental slavery and torture.

However, that's were the freebies end!

The victim doesn't have to be British. If the individual wants to be British, then he/she has to jump through the normal residency and all other requirements as everyone else. Good character and all the works.
No shortcuts.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!