ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with BNO passport after Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hsnnh
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Travelling with BNO passport after Citizenship Ceremony

Post by hsnnh » Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 am

Hi,

I have attended a British citizenship ceremony but need to travel very soon before I can apply for a British Passport. I am holding a BN(O) passport and my immigration adviser says that I can travel with my BN(O). Since the BRP will become invalid, how can I be sure there will be no problem entering the UK with BN(O) passport but no BRP?

I found a post by user EEApartner back in 2015 But there is no more follow-up after that.
british-citizenship/thank-you-all-and-a ... 84631.html

Can anyone advise about this pls?

Thanks very much!

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Travelling with BNO passport after Citizenship Ceremony

Post by Ticktack » Wed May 10, 2023 1:14 pm

hsnnh wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 am
Hi,

I have attended a British citizenship ceremony but need to travel very soon before I can apply for a British Passport. I am holding a BN(O) passport and my immigration adviser says that I can travel with my BN(O). Since the BRP will become invalid, how can I be sure there will be no problem entering the UK with BN(O) passport but no BRP?

I found a post by user EEApartner back in 2015 But there is no more follow-up after that.
british-citizenship/thank-you-all-and-a ... 84631.html

Can anyone advise about this pls?

Thanks very much!
Your BN(O) passport allows you to board a plane and come to the UK. You shouldn't have a problem with the airlines, travel with your certificate. Enter as usual, and if stopped, explain to the UK immigration officer. He'd let you in.

The risks are there however, as the government website would always advise you never to travel without getting your first UK passport.
You might struggle to get consular help outside if you run into trouble.
You could lose or damage your naturalisation certs whilst you're out there.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

hsnnh
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by hsnnh » Tue May 23, 2023 9:17 pm

Thanks for the response. I followed the advice and actually, it was very smooth coming through the border with BNO, the officer didn't ask any questions nor ask me for the Certificate. Hope this will be helpful for any other BNO holders becoming BC in the future.

Ixeon659
Latvia

Post by Ixeon659 » Tue May 23, 2023 9:25 pm

if your original passport is initially visa-free for the UK then no problems at all. There are problems for those who normally need a visa to enter the UK and because they don't hold any BRP's anymore it might be a problem (unless they get somehow to the UK immigration officer, it is possible i.e in Calais or in Paris (Eurostar train))