ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP - Will a UK Community Resolution impact British Citizenship application? (stressing)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

foddler
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

HELP - Will a UK Community Resolution impact British Citizenship application? (stressing)

Post by foddler » Thu May 25, 2023 11:07 pm

I recently got a community resolution for simple possession of cannabis (1 spliff). It is not a criminal record nor does it show up on PNC -- only on local police records. This is a first time offence and have no other problems/issues.

I am planning to apply to British Citizenship in 3.5 years and I am wondering:

1- Do I have to declare it?(The application itself does not ask any question related to community resolutions, but asks if there's anything that may impact the "good character requirement")

2- Can it lead to rejection due to lack of good character solely on this basis, noting that the nature of the offence is "drug related"?(The good character caseworker guidance says: In establishing whether the good character requirement is met, you must consider the seriousness of the offence and whether it was a first-time offence. It also says:
You must consider the nature of the offences or the behaviour that led to other disposals. For example, anti-social behaviour, drug use, or violence may indicate that a person’s character is such that their application should be refused (particularly if there is a pattern of such behaviour))

3- If I have to declare, how should one mitigate against it?

4- Would it be seen as disproportionate if the application got refused?

Any advice would be really helpful!!! Thank you so much.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: HELP - Will a UK Community Resolution impact British Citizenship application? (stressing)

Post by alterhase58 » Fri May 26, 2023 12:10 am

foddler wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:07 pm
[...]
4- Would it be seen as disproportionate if the application got refused?

Any advice would be really helpful!!! Thank you so much.
Not sure what you mean by #4 - you can't really appeal against this as it's a discretionary application.
However, if you declare it with all the details and appropriate contrition it's unlikely to be held against you.
Just my opinion.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.