ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Germany permanent residence permit for teenage daughter

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Miranda0412
Mood:
Ireland

Germany permanent residence permit for teenage daughter

Post by Miranda0412 » Fri May 26, 2023 4:29 pm

Hi,
I just moved to Germany, due to work, with my 17 y.o. daughter. I am currently a holder of a EU Blue card, before that we lived in Ireland for 8 years with a critical skills work permit and recently I got my irish passport.
My daughter has a residence permit, due to my eu blue card, that expires in 2025.
I would like to know what is the best/quickest way to get her a permanent residence permit and also wether there is any advantage to register her as a dependent of a EU citizen instead of her current residence card.

Stupidly, I didnt got her a permanent residence card when we where in Ireland and now it is not possible unless we go back. That is another option that we are considering.

Thank you

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Germany permanent residence permit for teenage daughter

Post by ALKB » Sat May 27, 2023 8:45 am

Miranda0412 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:29 pm
Hi,
I just moved to Germany, due to work, with my 17 y.o. daughter. I am currently a holder of a EU Blue card, before that we lived in Ireland for 8 years with a critical skills work permit and recently I got my irish passport.
My daughter has a residence permit, due to my eu blue card, that expires in 2025.
I would like to know what is the best/quickest way to get her a permanent residence permit and also wether there is any advantage to register her as a dependent of a EU citizen instead of her current residence card.

Stupidly, I didnt got her a permanent residence card when we where in Ireland and now it is not possible unless we go back. That is another option that we are considering.

Thank you
I think you might need professional advice in this regard. It´s a very unique situation.

I just re-read the EU directive which the issuance of BlueCard is based on, and as I suspected, in the very beginning, it says "This Directive shall apply to third-country nationals..."

Please make sure that you becoming an EU national did not invalidate your and possibly subsequently your daughter´s BlueCard. You may not have to change anything but it could also be the case that you urgently need to change her status to family member of an EU national.

I am not quite clear on the timeline - did you naturalize before moving to Germany and receiving your BlueCard or after? If you had already naturalized before the move, did you conceal your Irish nationality when dealing with the Ausländerbehörde?

But I am presuming that you would have just moved under EU freedom of movement if you already had obtained Irish citizenship. It would be good to specify, as this could have consequences/change any suggestions.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Miranda0412
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Miranda0412 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:30 am

ALKB wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 8:45 am
Miranda0412 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:29 pm
Hi,

Thank you
I think you might need professional advice in this regard. It´s a very unique situation.

I just re-read the EU directive which the issuance of BlueCard is based on, and as I suspected, in the very beginning, it says "This Directive shall apply to third-country nationals..."

Please make sure that you becoming an EU national did not invalidate your and possibly subsequently your daughter´s BlueCard. You may not have to change anything but it could also be the case that you urgently need to change her status to family member of an EU national.

I am not quite clear on the timeline - did you naturalize before moving to Germany and receiving your BlueCard or after? If you had already naturalized before the move, did you conceal your Irish nationality when dealing with the Ausländerbehörde?

But I am presuming that you would have just moved under EU freedom of movement if you already had obtained Irish citizenship. It would be good to specify, as this could have consequences/change any suggestions.

I appreciate your reply, I moved after I got my naturalization certificate but before I applied the passport. The company I am working for did the tramit of my eu blue card, they claimed I needed the passport to apply as a EU Citizen and also got the one for my daughter related to the eu blue card.
I will get some advice from a immigration lawyer then.
Thank you.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:42 pm

Hi,

Since you are now an Irish citizen, by law you have to visit your Bürgerbüro to change your nationality on their system. After this they will send your changes to the Ausländerbehörde to cancel your EU blue card. As an EU citizen you can not have a Blue card unless you are a dual citizen.

So if you only have Irish citizenship you need to change her residence to dependant of EU citizen. If you have dual citizenship you can keep her current status.

I will say changing her status to family member of EU citizen (Aufenthatskarte) will be better and secured than maintaining her normal Aufenthatstitel. Both will take her 5 years to get permanent residence. Since she is not yet an EU citizen, the best is the Daueraufenthaltskarte for EU family members because she can move to another EU country without you and start residence there. The Niederlassungserlaubnis which she will get via Blue card dependant is only valid in Germany.