ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I retain my original citizenship after I have received british citizenship via Asylum route

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kickassjerk
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Do I retain my original citizenship after I have received british citizenship via Asylum route

Post by Kickassjerk » Tue May 30, 2023 3:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Quick question, I received my British citizenship via the asylum route. I want to know, now that I have my British citizenship and passport, do I retain my original nationality, as both my country of origin and the UK allow dual citizenship, or have i effectively withdrawn my citizenship at the time of my asylum application?

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Do I retain my original citizenship after I have received british citizenship via Asylum route

Post by CR001 » Tue May 30, 2023 3:46 pm

Ukvi doesn't have the authority to remove your original citizenship. You retain it if you become British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Do I retain my original citizenship after I have received british citizenship via Asylum route

Post by London22 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:33 pm

Kickassjerk wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:33 pm
Hi Guys,

Quick question, I received my British citizenship via the asylum route. I want to know, now that I have my British citizenship and passport, do I retain my original nationality, as both my country of origin and the UK allow dual citizenship, or have i effectively withdrawn my citizenship at the time of my asylum application?

Regards
Have you practically renounced your nationality ? Asylum claim does not mean that you have renounced your nationality ,although for a limited period you do not enjoy benefits of your nationality. Even in case you practically renounce your nationality this can be reobtained. All depends on circumstances.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Each country administers its own nationality and whether you are covered by it or not. If both countries permit multiple nationality, then you retain the nationality of both countries.

But be aware of the Master Nationality Rule; if you are a dual/multiple national and physically in one of those countries, you can be treated as if you were solely a citizen of that country.

Essentially, if you travel back to the country of which you are a citizen and from where you fled for asylum, the UK will not be able to afford you any consular assistance in that country. You could be treated as if you were solely a citizen of that country. The recent famous case of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is a case in point.

This, by the way, is not unique to asylum cases. A dual US-UK citizen could be denied British consular assistance if they are arrested in the US itself, a country of which they are also a national.

Similarly, till the 1970s, Americans of Polish descent visiting Poland were subject to all the requirements of a Polish citizen, including military service, even if they were not carrying a Polish passport. In the middle of the Cold War, the US and Poland negotiated a treaty exempting such dual Polish-US citizens from certain aspects of Polish law in 1972.

So, although you retain the nationality of the state that you fled from claiming asylum, if you travel there, be aware that the UK government may not be able to provide you assistance. Travel at your own risk.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Kickassjerk
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Kickassjerk » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:18 pm

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Really appreciate it. To answer a few of the questions posted above:
Have you practically renounced your nationality ?
No i have not. However I do not have my OG pp as the home office never returned that. So I guess if needed I could potentially re apply for that (though I have no intention to do so)!
Each country administers its own nationality and whether you are covered by it or not. If both countries permit multiple nationality, then you retain the nationality of both countries.
Thanks for the clarification!