ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 parents, baby born abroad

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Stamp 4 parents, baby born abroad

Post by O'Ramires » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:47 pm

A friend of mine has an interesting question, that I want able to answer or couldn't find the information anywhere.

She and her husband are Brazilian citizens, but they have been living in Ireland with a stamp 4 since 2018. She was pregnant and went on holidays in Brazil, in February 2023. But unexpectedly, the baby was born there !

As far as I know, if the baby had been born in Ireland, he would have been considered an Irish citizen by birth. How does it work in this case? Would the fact that the parents are legal residents of Ireland be enough to consider the baby Irish by birth, even if he was born abroad?

Thanks 👍

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Stamp 4 parents, baby born abroad

Post by sairsint » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:11 pm

Unless one of the parents are either Irish or British citizens, their baby being born in Ireland does not afford them citizenship by birth.

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:34 pm

I am asking about the baby. If the baby was born in Ireland, it would be an citizen by birth.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Don't think there's any provisions for the child to be Irish in such case. It is what it is.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:36 am

Apologies, I misread your original post. Yes there would have been an opportunity for the baby to qualify for Irish citizenship (should the parents meet the reckonable
residence and other requirements).

Without the baby obtaining an Irish birth certificate it doesn’t seem likely in this case and just unfortunate from a timing and location perspective.