ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit with Criminal Record?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eleal
Newly Registered

Work Permit with Criminal Record?

Post by eleal » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:06 pm

I am a U.S. citizen and my company has established an office in Ireland. I currently have 2 misdemeanor charges on my record (Driving Under the Influence, or DUI). The first occurred in 2003 and the second occurred July of 2008. Both cases have been settled and there will be no legal/financial obligations (on the US side) that would stop me from traveling.

I have tried calling/emailing the Department of Employment on several occasions with no success thus far, is there anyone out there with experience that can help?

How will this affect my application for a work permit? Will I automatically be denied for having the misdemeanor charges?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Work Permit with Criminal Record?

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:21 am

eleal wrote:I am a U.S. citizen and my company has established an office in Ireland. I currently have 2 misdemeanor charges on my record (Driving Under the Influence, or DUI). The first occurred in 2003 and the second occurred July of 2008. Both cases have been settled and there will be no legal/financial obligations (on the US side) that would stop me from traveling.

I have tried calling/emailing the Department of Employment on several occasions with no success thus far, is there anyone out there with experience that can help?

How will this affect my application for a work permit? Will I automatically be denied for having the misdemeanor charges?

these offences in ireland or us? if in us, be cool, the irish dept are so badly fecked adminstrative wise they wont bother checking that stuff out,

i would not raise this issue with the department if you have not already done so. just wait for the decision. to answer your question honestly, it is a case of the relevant minister having complete discretion on such decisions. however, he must make these decisions in a proportionate manner. would seriousness of offence and period of time justify refusual on ground of records

i would not worry too much.

eleal
Newly Registered

Post by eleal » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Both offenses occurred in the U.S. My company already knows about these offenses and will in fact be mentioning it when they turn in my work permit application, so the issue will definitely be raised. Thoughts?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:44 pm

eleal wrote:..and will in fact be mentioning it when they turn in my work permit application
Why?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:28 pm

eleal wrote:Both offenses occurred in the U.S. My company already knows about these offenses and will in fact be mentioning it when they turn in my work permit application, so the issue will definitely be raised. Thoughts?
i dont remember the application forms actually asking for such info.still nah, i would be more concerned with other reasons to refuse you such as work ration, available jobs and proof that the employer has done everything they could but still could not get irish or eu national and that you are qualified etc (the usual requirements for permit)

either way, chill and good luck with application but as the poster said, why the hell would you bother telling the dept about it if not asked for it?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Work Permit with Criminal Record?

Post by mktsoi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:55 pm

eleal wrote:I am a U.S. citizen and my company has established an office in Ireland. I currently have 2 misdemeanor charges on my record (Driving Under the Influence, or DUI). The first occurred in 2003 and the second occurred July of 2008. Both cases have been settled and there will be no legal/financial obligations (on the US side) that would stop me from traveling.

unless your job offer is from an irish government agency. otherwise, you will be ok. i know the government agency in ireland started to do that couple of years back. they ask in the job application if teh application him/herself ever had any conviction in the past or present.

the workpermit application itself. i dont even understand why your company would mention it in the application. you can go to the dept of entemp website, download the form and check if any where mention that you have to mention any convictions or charges from before?

Vikingdub
Newly Registered

Post by Vikingdub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 pm

I just checked the Work Permit application form and there are no questions pertaining to criminal records, therefore I cannot understand why your employer would include information that is not requested in the application. To be honest I really do not think that 2 misdemeanor DUI would fall into the category of "criminal conviction", this generally refers to what you call a felony. However, my advise is to quote (or misquote) the U.S. military, don't ask, don't tell".

As previously stated you should be more concerned about your application passing the Labour Market Test.