ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Russian citizen - bad time to apply for BC?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Cryptodira19801980
Newly Registered
Italy

Russian citizen - bad time to apply for BC?

Post by Cryptodira19801980 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:54 pm

Hi members of the forum,

My wife is a Russian citizen who fulfils all the requirements needed to apply for the British Citizenship. However, she's a bit worried because of the timing. Given the current situation in Ukraine, is the UK government more likely to reject BC applications by Russian citizens? I know that they'd never admit to this, but what goes on behind the scenes might be a different story. Our son, a minor, is already British by birth. Would she benefit in any way if I, an Italian citizen, applied for the BC before she does it? Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Russian citizen - bad time to apply for BC?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:00 pm

Your overthinking.

She simply needs to meet all the requirements as set out in nationality law.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:07 pm

You're indeed overthinking. A bunch of people here from Russia successfully naturalized.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Cryptodira19801980
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Cryptodira19801980 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:08 am

Thanks guys! You have put our minds to rest!

AGM23
United Kingdom

Post by AGM23 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:27 pm

Cryptodira19801980 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:08 am
I have Russian colleague who got his within reasonable time, like everyone mentioned above, as long as you meet the requirement, it should not be an issue

Cryptodira19801980
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Cryptodira19801980 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:51 pm

AGM23 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:27 pm
Cryptodira19801980 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:08 am
I have Russian colleague who got his within reasonable time, like everyone mentioned above, as long as you meet the requirement, it should not be an issue
Thanks! That's great to know.

imbik
Mood:
Turkey

Post by imbik » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:01 pm

I had my citizenship ceremony 3 days ago. We were 8 people from 8 different countries. One from Sudan, I am from Turkiye, one from Ukraine, one from Romania, one from somewhere else and even from 2 other countries I have never heard of...

We are all here because we want to be treaded fairly and equally. Whatever happens between those 2 countries is not your wife's fault or her decision. Apply for her like everyone else.

By the way, if you really want to see and experience a proper discrimination come with me when I go to Bulgaria (my wife's homeland) using my Turkish passport, just sit somewhere and watch what happens between me and airport officer :lol:
I love science

Cryptodira19801980
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Cryptodira19801980 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:57 pm

imbik wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:01 pm
I had my citizenship ceremony 3 days ago. We were 8 people from 8 different countries. One from Sudan, I am from Turkiye, one from Ukraine, one from Romania, one from somewhere else and even from 2 other countries I have never heard of...

We are all here because we want to be treaded fairly and equally. Whatever happens between those 2 countries is not your wife's fault or her decision. Apply for her like everyone else.

By the way, if you really want to see and experience a proper discrimination come with me when I go to Bulgaria (my wife's homeland) using my Turkish passport, just sit somewhere and watch what happens between me and airport officer :lol:
Thank you for your answer. The thing is that my wife has already experienced very serious episodes of discrimination in the UK since the war started. She was denied essential services. Hence our concerns.