ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee for British citizenship(MN1)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dewdrops1420

Referee for British citizenship(MN1)

Post by dewdrops1420 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:23 am

Hi,

Could someone please tell me where I can find someone to add as second referee in MN1 application. It says.

"a person of any nationality who has professional standing.
Examples of a professional person or someone with professional standing could be - a minister of religion, civil servant, teacher, nurse, pharmacist, bank official or a member of a professional body, for example, accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). "

Can I goto bank and ask for help? I do not know anyone of the above description.

Thanks,

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referee for British citizenship(MN1)

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:20 am

A referee must know the child.
The examples of professions is only a sample from the full list of accepted professions.
See page 34 for the full list: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

imbik
Mood:
Turkey

Post by imbik » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:15 pm

I would suggest you going to child's school and talk to the management. I applied for my daughter last week and one of her referees was her tutor from school.

Initially the teacher was reluctant to share her details with someone who she has never seen/known before but I wrote a letter explaining the whole process and why we need her. I also added a copy of referee pages from my own application and visited the tutor personally, then she agreed and gave me the info I needed.

Just be honest and use formal copies, document to explain why you need them.
I love science

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:50 pm

Hi,
This is for adult application and not for child.
Could someone now help me?

Sorry if adult application is not known as MN1. I have less knowledge on this topic.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:19 pm

MN1 is for children under 18.

Adults use form AN.

You need one referee, who is of any nationality, who has known you for 3 years. The second referee must be over 25 and British.

Neither referee can be related to you either through blood or through marriage.

It is expected that after 5 to 6 years, often longer, that an applicant would have integrated into British society and that these referees should not be an issue to obtain.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:20 pm

Ok
Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:28 pm

Correction, the referee of any nationality is the professional referee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:03 pm

So from where can I find such a professional referee? Can I goto bank and check?

Anyone I know and who knows me has no govt job.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:25 pm

dewdrops1420 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:03 pm
So from where can I find such a professional referee? Can I goto bank and check?

Anyone I know and who knows me has no govt job. yes - they can have a government job (except Home Office employees).
Your referees must have known you for 3 years, so if you have regular personal contact with your bank (manager?) then maybe they will help. Or maybe you/your family have friends or neighbours who fit the requirements? A referee can be a government employee except if they work for the Home Office.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:29 pm

You can ask your pharmacist, health visitor, nursery / school teacher, Minister of religion?

The "known the person for 3 years" is the adult AN requirement. For MN1, the child, the referee must have engaged with the child at a professional capacity at some point.

From Home office:

"For child applicants at least one of the referees must be a person who has dealt with the child in a professional role such as a teacher, doctor, health visitor or social worker. Where a child cannot provide a referee who has dealt with them in a professional capacity and has provided documents to show that they have attempted to do so, you can accept 2 referees who meet the criteria for referees on adult applications"
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:37 pm

Londoner007 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:29 pm
You can ask your pharmacist, health visitor, nursery / school teacher, Minister of religion?

The "known the person for 3 years" is the adult AN requirement. For MN1, the child, the referee must have engaged with the child at a professional capacity at some point.

From Home office:

"For child applicants at least one of the referees must be a person who has dealt with the child in a professional role such as a teacher, doctor, health visitor or social worker. Where a child cannot provide a referee who has dealt with them in a professional capacity and has provided documents to show that they have attempted to do so, you can accept 2 referees who meet the criteria for referees on adult applications"
OP confirmed it was actually for her application, not child.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:43 pm

That's true.

Was just clarifying for anyone who sees those posts that for MN1 currently, until rules change, the 3 year to have known a professional referee is not a requirement. A lot of people have problem getting referees to sign for a child stating they havent known the child for 3 years.
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:07 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:25 pm
dewdrops1420 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Anyone I know and who knows me has no govt job. yes - they can have a government job (except Home Office employees).
Your referees must have known you for 3 years, so if you have regular personal contact with your bank (manager?) then maybe they will help. Or maybe you/your family have friends or neighbours who fit the requirements? A referee can be a government employee except if they work for the Home Office.

A correction: This is for adult application and not MN1.I can't edit the title anymore.
I want to know whom I can set as referee in professional capacity? I work for IT industry and I know only such people and no one with govt job. Is it mandatory to keep someone with govt job?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:28 am

Why do you believe it has to be someone who has a government job?? There is NO such requirements.

Have you read the link with the list of professionals?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:15 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:28 am
Why do you believe it has to be someone who has a government job?? There is NO such requirements.

Have you read the link with the list of professionals?
Because it's written, 'For an adult application, one referee should be a person of any nationality who has
professional standing, eg minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a
professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this
application).'

Can you give me some egs of whom this is pointing to?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:26 am

That doesn't say anywhere that it must be someone with a gov job!!

The link was already posted and the page number to look at! See below.
alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:20 am
A referee must know the child.
The examples of professions is only a sample from the full list of accepted professions.
See page 34 for the full list: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:16 am

ok thank you!