ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DVLA - Driving in UK using EU license?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sh_parag
Newly Registered
India

DVLA - Driving in UK using EU license?

Post by sh_parag » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:49 pm

Hello,

Could you please assist me by providing answers to the following questions?

1) I obtained a European driving license in 2019 by exchanging my Indian license, and it's valid until 2029. Can I use this European license to drive in the UK, or is it possible to exchange it for a UK license?

2) I've been in the UK for 6 months. Am I allowed to drive using my Indian or European driving license during the initial 52 weeks?

Thanks,

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: DVLA - Driving in UK using EU license?

Post by JB007 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:53 pm

You cannot exchange your licence but you can drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence.

After 12 months you’ll need to take a theory test and practical test to get a Great Britain issued driving licence.
https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence/y

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:04 pm

The reason you can't exchange your EU for a UK one, is due to the fact that your original driving licence was issued in India which you then exchanged for an EU licence.

You may find insurance premiums are higher while you continue to drive with an EU licence. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sh_parag
Newly Registered
India

Post by sh_parag » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:02 am

Thank you for your replies, I will better start with my provisional and then theory, practical test to get a Brit driving license.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:01 am

sh_parag wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:02 am
Thank you for your replies, I will better start with my provisional and then theory, practical test to get a Brit driving license.
It can take a while to get a Britsih diving license because of the long queue in some areas. This is a step by step guide for what you will have to do.
https://www.gov.uk/learn-to-drive-a-car

Some people take a few driving lessons with an instructor to pass the actual driving test part because we all pick up bad driving habits; we don't want to get back in that queue again if we fail.

Another reason to get a British driving license asap, is that I've read that any incidents that the police can deal with at the side of the road is not always possible if the person does not hold a British driving license. Those that can't be dealt with by the side of the road can end up in court.

sh_parag
Newly Registered
India

Post by sh_parag » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:44 pm

Once again, thank you. I appreciate the information. Considering the time it might take to obtain a British driving license, I think, it will be good to initiate the process now rather than waiting for 52 weeks by only using the foreign license.