ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Employer Skilled Worker Visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DrUni
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

New Employer Skilled Worker Visa

Post by DrUni » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:36 pm

I am on a skilled worker visa in the UK sponsored by my current employer from October 2022 until August 2025. My question is, If I change to another employer and re-apply for the skilled worker visa, do I get 5 years visa or would I only be offered two years based on my previous application which makes a total of 5 years of skilled worker visa in the UK? Then I would need to extend?

Note: As Gov.uk says skilled Worker visa can only be granted for 5 years, does it mean specific for each employer? Or as a collective of other skilled worker visas you held with other employers?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: New Employer Skilled Worker Visa

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:40 pm

The maximum period for a single skilled worker visa to be issued for is 5 years. There is nothing to stop you from having another 5 year visa from your new job. Assuming you want ILR after five years it does make any qualifying visa that takes you beyond 5 years a bit unnecessary.

DrUni
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DrUni » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:59 pm

Hi @Frontier Mole and thank you for you response. The difference here is instead of getting two years from the new employer - added to my previous three years to equal five years in total - means I have to extend my visa again with the new employer which means I paid three times for visa applications. Does that make sense?Whereas If I get 5 years with new employer that it. I can apply for IRL once i hot 5 years mark in total.

DrUni
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DrUni » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:00 pm

I also want to add that when I applied for three years the first time - the visa was two months short due to delays in granting me the visa. so If I get two years with new employer - I am still short of 5 years period and hence I would need to apply for an extension.

DrUni
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DrUni » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:45 pm

And final point is I might switch to a new employer only having been on one year of Skilled worker Visa so I wouldn't have completed the full three years with the old employer.

Anon123B
United Kingdom

Post by Anon123B » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:54 pm

Hi DrUni,

You will have to make 3 applications either way if you want to qualify for the ILR. If you get 5 years with a new employer, you would have completed the 5 years criteria within 4 years of the new visa (provided that you've done 1 year with the old employer - meaning that you finish working with them in Oct 2023). It seems that if you are switching to the new employer it is best to have a 5 year visa.

DrUni
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DrUni » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 am

Hi Anon123B and thank you f0or your response. If I get 5 years with new employer and I qualify for IRL within 4 years from that visa (counting the one year from the first visa). Wouldn't the total of visa applications be two? - first application I already made and I got three years and the second application when I apply with new employer (5 years). So why would I need a third application?

Regards

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:53 am

Depending on the time you've spent in the UK under the same route so far, you can calculate when you're eligible and apply accordingly - as long as the new employer is willing to negotiate this (CoS duration 3 or 5 years) and your finances (longer visa is considerably more expensive).

DrUni
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by DrUni » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:02 am

Hi lolo2, Thank you very much for your response. I am still awaiting for an offer and once I do, I will ask the employer about the CoS duration.