ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gaps in IRP renewal

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tmarkand
Newly Registered
India

Gaps in IRP renewal

Post by tmarkand » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:24 pm

Hello All,

To provide some context, I held a Stamp 2 non-reckonable status for citizenship purposes between October 27, 2017 to October 27, 2018. However, my IRP history shows gaps between renewals.

In September 2018, I transitioned to a Stamp 1 status. I made an attempt to renew my IRP card in September 2018, but I was informed by the GNIB office, Cork that renewals could only be processed within a week before the current IRP expiry. Unfortunately, this led to a 2-month gap between IRP renewals with new IRP renewed on November 01, 2018. Similarly, in 2019, my IRP card was due to expire on September 9th, but due to appointment unavailability with the IRP office, I could only renew it on November 15th, 2019. A similar situation occurred in 2020.

The gaps have resulted in me being deemed ineligible to apply for naturalisation according to the naturalisation residency calculator. I have a proof for 2020 where I requested an appointment 2 weeks before my IRP expiry but was given an appointment for 3 months later (Cork office). So my new IRP card for 2020, had 3 months later date as renewal again causing gap.

I need help understanding if I can still apply when the naturalisation residency calculator shows insufficient days due to gaps in IRP (appointments unavailability). Can we explain gaps in cover letter with some proofs. Has anyone tried doing this and it has worked?

Thank you!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Gaps in IRP renewal

Post by littlerr » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:49 pm

You just need 5 x 365/366 days of residence in total in the last 9 years. If you have a gap of 20 days, just wait for another 20 days before applying for citizenship.

Also any gap of registration within the COVID period does not count as a gap as long as you eventually registered successfully.

tmarkand
Newly Registered
India

Post by tmarkand » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:58 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.
2020 renewal was during COVID time so I can skip that one.
But 2018 and 2019 renewals gaps combined are 4 months total. That will be a long wait then. Isn't there any other way where we can do this without waiting.?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:03 pm

I would say you're better off to be on the safe side; while you could apply with explanations (if you have something to back it up with), I don't know if they return the documents back and you'd lose 175 if you get refused.

Email them and ask - citizenshipinfo@justice.ie
If you get a response (and share here) - great, you know what to do. If not, it's your decision to make.

Off topic, but:
tmarkand wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:58 pm
4 months total. That will be a long wait then.
I've been waiting for 19 months at this point to get my citizenship, from 2021. Nowadays 2023 applicants get approved the same year.
While it may seem like a lot, that's a safer way.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

tmarkand
Newly Registered
India

Post by tmarkand » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:06 am

Thank you so much for your reply!
meself2 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:03 pm
Email them and ask - citizenshipinfo@justice.ie
If you get a response (and share here) - great, you know what to do. If not, it's your decision to make.
I've already sent them an email asking about the same couple of days back. Currently, the email turnaround times with citizenship dept is more than a month and half. So no choice but to wait. Hoping they reply soon on this issue.

Yes, I can understand 19 months must be a very long wait compared to mine, but these 4 months wait for me is literally waste of time as I already have spent those months but just issue with getting IRP appointments. I hope the citizenship dept provide me with a solution to this soon. I will post here what I hear from them!

erchinok88
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by erchinok88 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:21 pm

Hi, I have the same problem as you. Have you heard from them? Thanks