ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application takes over 4 years...

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

annjan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Citizenship application takes over 4 years...

Post by annjan » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:00 pm

I applied for British Citizenship 4 years ago (06/2019) and no decision has yet been made. When I contact the HO, I used to get the same response as enquiries have not be completed. My local MP contacted 3 times regarding the delay but he gets the same response. I complained 3 time through their complaint procedures but no luck.

I am really frustrated and stressed. Is there anyone in the similar situation? Would you guys advise me if there is any other way to pressure the HO to make the decision as quickly as possible? I tried to take legal action but there are not any solicitors who would take the case to the court.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Citizenship application takes over 4 years...

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:12 pm

annjan wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:00 pm
I applied for British Citizenship 4 years ago (06/2019) and no decision has yet been made. When I contact the HO, I used to get the same response as enquiries have not be completed. My local MP contacted 3 times regarding the delay but he gets the same response. I complained 3 time through their complaint procedures but no luck.

I am really frustrated and stressed. Is there anyone in the similar situation? Would you guys advise me if there is any other way to pressure the HO to make the decision as quickly as possible? I tried to take legal action but there are not any solicitors who would take the case to the court.
You may find it helpful to submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) to see what information the Home Office have regarding your UK immigration history, if you haven't already done so. :idea:
Link below
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:04 pm

annjan wrote:

And besides SAR, what is your immigration history? Anything that could have led to the delay and which you know of?

annjan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by annjan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:41 am

Casa wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:12 pm
annjan wrote:

You may find it helpful to submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) to see what information the Home Office have regarding your UK immigration history, if you haven't already done so. :idea:
Link below
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
Thank you, I will submit a SAR and see what has caused the delay.

annjan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by annjan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:49 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:04 pm
annjan wrote:

And besides SAR, what is your immigration history? Anything that could have led to the delay and which you know of?
I have had the refugee status since April 2013. I didn’t enter the country illegally or never stayed illegally. When I claimed asylum, I had legal status and was working full time. From what other members claim here, I believe it could be delayed because I was on a refugee visa.

annjan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by annjan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:56 am

The HO also has advised in their response to the complaint that my local MP can refer the case to Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. Has anyone gone through this process? Would it help in anyway?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:48 am

annjan wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:56 am
The HO also has advised in their response to the complaint that my local MP can refer the case to Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. Has anyone gone through this process? Would it help in anyway?
It's taken so long, if the HO has advised you in this manner, take up the suggestions and promptings.

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:36 pm

Thank you guys for you replies. I made a SAR and I have received the file. To my surprise, there is no update on my records other than the Auto PNC check since I applied for naturalisation. Does that mean Home Office has lost my file and is just lying that they are regularly monitoring my application?

I also asked for a review of the complaint I made and received my final response from Home Office stating that they will contact me within 8 weeks for further information. I can’t trust this anymore as I had similar replies before but they didn’t contact me.

HO also advised me to make a complaint to IEC (Independent Examiner of Complaints) if I am not happy with the final response. Have anybody gone through this process? My local MP refused to refer the case to the ombudsman committee before raising the issue issue with IEC.

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:32 pm

Hi all,

After 4 and a half years waiting, I have received my approval letter today. I don’t think anyone in this forum waits for such a long time for the application to be processed. If anyone is waiting for such long time, it will be useful.

However, my partner and children have not yet received their approval letter. That worries me.

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:31 pm

Did they apply with you? It could be worth contacting the council where you should attend the ceremony and asking which certificates they have for your family group - maybe their email is just a bit delayed.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:26 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:31 pm
Did they apply with you? It could be worth contacting the council where you should attend the ceremony and asking which certificates they have for your family group - maybe their email is just a bit delayed.
Yes, we all applied together. I haven’t received the approval through the email, it has been sent by post.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:24 pm

Well, congratulations on receiving your outcome. I would try to contact the council and ask if they have the certificates - surely they must have yours.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm

Wow 4 years this is long time!!! What was it that you did to push the HO for decision? Or did they just give the decision eventually?

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:30 pm

MuhammadM86 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm
Wow 4 years this is long time!!! What was it that you did to push the HO for decision? Or did they just give the decision eventually?
Yes, this is. HO advised me to make a complaint to IEC (Independent Examiner of Complaints) if I am not happy with the final response. I made a complaint to IEO in November 2023 and also applied for SAR. I am not sure if those actions pushed Home Office to make the decision.

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:32 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:24 pm
Well, congratulations on receiving your outcome. I would try to contact the council and ask if they have the certificates - surely they must have yours.
Thanks, will the Home Office send children’ certificates to the council or home address?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:33 pm

jais2015 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:30 pm
MuhammadM86 wrote:
Yes, this is. HO advised me to make a complaint to IEC (Independent Examiner of Complaints) if I am not happy with the final response. I made a complaint to IEO in November 2023 and also applied for SAR. I am not sure if those actions pushed Home Office to make the decision.
Could you share how you made the complaint to IEC? It could help other forum members in similar situations.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:34 pm

jais2015 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:32 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:24 pm
Thanks, will the Home Office send children’ certificates to the council or home address?
From what I know, if children apply on their own certificates are posted at the address given, but if a parent also naturalises the certificates can be picked up by the parent - I am not entirely sure though.

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:49 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:33 pm
jais2015 wrote:
MuhammadM86 wrote:
Could you share how you made the complaint to IEC? It could help other forum members in similar situations.
I made several complaints to the Home Office and got standard responses. Then I send an email to review my complaints to complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk. I got the final response from complaint review and was asked to complain to IEC if I am not happy with their internal complaint team’s response. Then I complained to IEC
IEC@homeoffice.gov.uk. IEC will only take the case if final response is received from home office complaint team.

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:19 pm

jais2015 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:49 pm
contorted_svy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:33 pm
jais2015 wrote:
MuhammadM86 wrote:
I made several complaints to the Home Office and got standard responses. Then I send an email to review my complaints to complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk. I got the final response from complaint review and was asked to complain to IEC if I am not happy with their internal complaint team’s response. Then I complained to IEC
IEC@homeoffice.gov.uk. IEC will only take the case if final response is received from home office complaint team. I wish I had followed this procedure after one year of applying. IEC team was really helpful and they keep you updated. I received an email from IEC in November stating that home office will contact me within 8 weeks.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:34 pm

Thanks for sharing.
One question, does it mean if the HO don’t hold your initial complaint then you can’t escalate to IEC?

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:54 pm

Yes, the case can’t be escalated to IEC if the home office doesn’t hold the initial complaint. But I believe sending a complaint review following the initial complaint could force the home office to send the final response.

jais2015
United Kingdom

Post by jais2015 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 pm

jais2015 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:54 pm
Yes, the case can’t be escalated to IEC if the home office doesn’t hold the initial complaint. But I believe sending a complaint review following the initial complaint could force the home office to send the final response.
This is what I received in their final response,

“This is our final response to your complaint. If you are dissatisfied with our response, you can escalate your complaint to the Office for the Independent Examiner of Complaints (IEC) within three months of the date of this letter by: e-mailing iec@homeoffice.gov.uk or writing to PO BOX 6147, SHEFFIELD, S2 9JD. If you decide to escalate your complaint to the OIEC, please provide them with copies of all correspondence you sent us and our replies.”

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:48 pm

Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

Bibivaly
Romania

Post by Bibivaly » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:51 am

Hi
I’m in a similar situation regarding my citizenship application
I have made few complaints and I have received an email response from HO compliant team saying that they are unable to uphold my complaint. Does this means this is my final response and I now can go straight to IEC (Independent Examiner of Complaints ) or I must first send it to the review team and only after a response from the review team I can complain to IEC ?

The review team (complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk) generally are not responding to people asking for reviews :(

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:28 pm

If the email from the complaints team doesn't state that you can go to the IEC I think you need to get a review first.