ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Passports and travel to home country

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

luxurylemon
Ireland

Dual Passports and travel to home country

Post by luxurylemon » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:12 am

Hi All,

Now that my husband has received his Irish passport he holds both a US and Irish passport.
We travel to the US in just a few weeks and I'm just wondering the process of traveling with two passports.

For the US, if you hold a US passport you must travel on this document when entering the US. I'm sure there must be other countries with similar rules.
When we do preclearence in Dublin we would give them the US passport, and give Irish immigration the Irish one on return to Dublin.
What about the airlines for check in, as I would have thought he will need to use his US passport for check in in Dublin as he wont have an ESTA, but shouldn't he use the Irish one on the way home to prove hes eligible to enter Ireland? Then he would be using two separate passports on the same booking which I think they wont allow either.
Can anyone let me know how we should travel to his home country with the two passports?

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Dual Passports and travel to home country

Post by Vadrar » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:39 am

As you say, he'll need to present US passport to US immigration officials on arrival and departure, and Irish passport to Irish immigration officials.

He can book his airline ticket under whichever passport he wants. When checking in with the airline, he'll need to show whichever passport he books the tickets in to confirm identity matches. Then he also shows the airline the passport that grants him entry to the country of arrival. He'll typically not be allowed to use online check in, as the airline will want to inspect the second passport. Do not book one way tickets using the two different passports for each leg - it raises security questions.

To enable future online checkin, most dual passport holders start a loyalty programme with the airline and log both passports on their profile. In this case, most major airlines will then update a profile to allow online checkin after airline personnel have sighted the passport the first time. Alternately, book via a travel agent (who registers the passports on the airline system), or call the airline in advance to register their second passport (but, again, you typically need to show the physical passport for inspection once before this will be allowed for future online checkin.)

As long as all personal details match (DOB, full name, place of birth etc etc) between the two passports he'll be fine.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:53 am

Actually, one caveat to selecting any passport you want to book tickets in. If you want to use Global Entry, typically the ticket needs to be booked in the passport that is registered for that. The Known Traveller Number will not (typically or ever) appear on the ticket (and therefore you can't use GE booths or TSA precheck lines) unless it is attached to the primary booking passport.

tugii20
Ireland

Post by tugii20 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:07 am

luxurylemon wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:12 am
Hi All,

Now that my husband has received his Irish passport he holds both a US and Irish passport.
We travel to the US in just a few weeks and I'm just wondering the process of traveling with two passports.

For the US, if you hold a US passport you must travel on this document when entering the US. I'm sure there must be other countries with similar rules.
When we do preclearence in Dublin we would give them the US passport, and give Irish immigration the Irish one on return to Dublin.
What about the airlines for check in, as I would have thought he will need to use his US passport for check in in Dublin as he wont have an ESTA, but shouldn't he use the Irish one on the way home to prove hes eligible to enter Ireland? Then he would be using two separate passports on the same booking which I think they wont allow either.
Can anyone let me know how we should travel to his home country with the two passports?
just use a USA passport for the whole trip. and when you come back to Ireland if they ask you for viSA OR ANY OTHER document then show an IRISH passport

archermoo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by archermoo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:58 pm

luxurylemon wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:12 am
Hi All,

My wife has both US and Irish passports. When she travels to the US she gives the airline her US passport for the flight to the US. And uses her US passport for preclearance in Dublin. When she travels back she gives the airline her Irish passport and shows both US and Irish passports at border control. Never had a problem. Several times she only showed her Irish passport when returning, but that ended up meaning that she didn't get her passport stamped either way on the journey. Showing both when returning to Ireland means that at least her US passport gets stamped.