ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Stay and Extension

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nagaraju.ch
Newly Registered
India

ILR Stay and Extension

Post by nagaraju.ch » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:51 pm

Hi All,

Hope you are doing well.

I have few questions on ILR, As i am on ILR and it will get expired by end of December 2024(i think most of us have expiry date as Dec 2024).

How can we get it extended and how long will it be extended and how early we can go for extension?

How long i can stay abroad continuously while on ILR? I heard that we have to live in UK for some time for every year or so.

Thank you in advance.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR Stay and Extension

Post by zimba » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:10 pm

ILR status is lost after staying outside the UK for more than 2 years. ILR is granted for the purpose of settlement in the UK. If you choose to settle somewhere else and spend most of your time there, then the ILR status can be taken from you. If someone with ILR has not returned for more than 24 months then their ILR is automatically lost. Also, simply travelling for short periods of time to the UK may not maintain your ILR status as per the rules: general-uk-immigration-forum/keeping-il ... l#p2037249

Note that the ILR status does NOT expire, so there is no extension or renewal. BRP is simply a card used to SHOW/PROVE your status when required. Just like a bank card, it has an expiry. A new fully digital online-only proof of status system will likely be introduced in early 2024. From 1 Jan 2025, that system will be used to SHOW/PROVE your status and all BRPs will be phased out. You do not need to take any action.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice