ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage with non Eu

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Basienka
Newly Registered
Ireland

Marriage with non Eu

Post by Basienka » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:51 pm

Hi I Live in Ireland but I'm Polish. My boyfriend is non Eu. For now he is here only for visiting. If we get marriage here will he get permision for work in Ireland?

luxurylemon
Ireland

Re: Marriage with non Eu

Post by luxurylemon » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:08 pm

Its not as simple as that. Depends on a number of factors, how long is he here and how long can he stay, does he need a visa.

You need to register your intent to marry 3 months prior to marriage, since he is non eu you will both need to attend an interview prior to being allowed to register your intent to marry. This is so they can ensure you are not just marrying for immigration status: https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-dea ... rried/how/

Once you actually get married, yes he should get Stamp 4 but also depends on if he needs a visa or not.
My husband is US, so non visa required. Our registration after getting married was very informal and nobody asked us for anything other than our marriage cert, but they could have asked for all sorts of things. I'd imagine the process is a lot more intensive if he needs a visa. You may have to show proof of health insurance, proof of earnings over a number of years.

Basienka
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Basienka » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:57 pm

Hi is from Brasilian. I really don't know much what I should do.

Basienka
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Basienka » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:00 pm

* he is from Brazil

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:02 pm

Well, what do you want to do?

If you plan to marry in Ireland, then, as luxurylemon said, you would have to go through the hoops, attend immigration interviews and receive permission to marry from Irish government. If it's okayed, you can marry and apply for permission based on EU Treaty rights, if you're exercising them (what are you doing in Ireland? work? study?).

You can also marry abroad, as long as it's legally recognized in Ireland, go to Ireland and start the process as married couple.

Regarding permission to work - it takes a while to process the permission (might be more than a year) and your boyfriend (then spouse) may or may not have right to work during the wait period - depends on ISD.

Or do you not want to marry/live in Ireland?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:03 pm

Basienka wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:00 pm
* he is from Brazil
With that remark I have to ask, in case we're missing something, if his citizenship is Brazilian.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Basienka
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Basienka » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:10 pm

Yes he is Brazilian. I know all about intent to marry etc. We don't want get married just for document. We are just tired live apart from each other. I work here and yes we want stay here. I live here 13 years my life is here in Ireland. Só do you think its easier to start here as a married couple after get married abroad?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:14 pm

Basienka wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:10 pm
Yes he is Brazilian. I know all about intent to marry etc. We don't want get married just for document. We are just tired live apart from each other. I work here and yes we want stay here. I live here 13 years my life is here in Ireland. Só do you think its easier to start here as a married couple after get married abroad?
It might be easier for you to marry somewhere else compared to Ireland - I don't know any specifics, but would encourage you to look into it.

Then EU treaty rights it is.
EUTR1 is the from for him when married - look through it on https://www.irishimmigration.ie/coming- ... ty-rights/ .

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:31 pm

Basienka wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:57 pm
Hi is from Brasilian. I really don't know much what I should do.
It will be a tough one if you plan to marry in Ireland and apply for EUTR. If you want to marry for the sole purpose for him to use the EU freemovement rights, it is a bad idea to marry in Ireland. You can marry in any other country, apostile your marraige cert then "3 months" later you come back to Ireland. He doesn't need a visa for entry. He can use his visa waiver and apply for residency in Ireland. You just have to inform the immigration at the airport you are coming to stay.
With this method he has a right to get a temporary stamp 4 while his application is being processed.
Now adays it takes up to 6 or 7 months to process the EUTR1 and get his Stamp 4 EU Fam.

*Another option,
Did both of you lived together for sometime and have you dated for 2 years with evidence? If yes he can apply as a partner.

His nationality doesn't require a visa for 90 days so it will be possible to prepare the necessary documents for the EUTR1 application. With this process the ISD can decide not to issue him a temporary stamp 4 until his application is processed. This can take from 6-12months.

Hope this helps.

Yk_Krsh
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by Yk_Krsh » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:14 am

It is not hard to get married here. All you need to do now is to set up an appointment (you have all the information available at https://www.citizensinformation.ie/ , it will take a couple of months, he won't be able to work in the meantime but he can stay because he's waiting for the wedding with you. My partner (who's also Brazilian) stayed for 6 months on an expired IRP because we were waiting for the wedding, no problem caused.

The hardest part is an interview but if you love each other, know things about each other and in a long-term relationship, you'll pass it.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:39 am

Yk_Krsh wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:14 am
It is not hard to get married here. All you need to do now is to set up an appointment (you have all the information available at https://www.citizensinformation.ie/ , it will take a couple of months, he won't be able to work in the meantime but he can stay because he's waiting for the wedding with you. My partner (who's also Brazilian) stayed for 6 months on an expired IRP because we were waiting for the wedding, no problem caused.

The hardest part is an interview but if you love each other, know things about each other and in a long-term relationship, you'll pass it.
As you said your partner was already in Ireland with an expired IRP. Which means he already gained residence.

With EUTR there is question mark on newly married couples.

You will have a hard time if you come here on visit visa or a stamp on your passport as visitor and marry to gain EU treaty rights. They will put it as marriage of convenience or delay his application.