ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Notary in different state

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DV22
Newly Registered
United States of America

Notary in different state

Post by DV22 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:19 am

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long post, but I'm in desperate need of some help. I'm a first time applicant through the FBR. I live in Boston and I got my identity verification form notarized while I was visiting my parents who live in California. My application has just been rejected, apparently because the passport office was unable to contact the notary office. I have a job offer lined up in London, and my lease in Boston is expiring at the end of the month, so when I resubmitted the identity verification form, I listed my parents' address in California since I will have to move back in with them for a few weeks.

However, after I mailed off the new form, I called the passport office to make sure my newly notarized application wouldn't be rejected again, I was told that my original application was rejected because the witness/notary has to be in the same region. This instruction is not listed anywhere on the DFA website. This is also a huge problem since I got the new form notarized in Boston but listed my parents' California address, and the proofs of address I provided are for my Boston address. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? If my 2nd form is rejected again, I will likely lose my job offer in London. Thanks for the help.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Notary in different state

Post by meself2 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:05 am

Why did you post it in timeline topic, which is made just for the timelines? Next time your question will be removed completely. Don't do that again, please.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Notary in different state

Post by littlerr » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:41 pm

Each state has their own notary system and licensing system, so you can’t just say I have a lawyer in Hawaii that can prove my address in New York is genuine. Of course you can declare under oath it is true, but if it turns out to be wrong, nobody can do anything in either state.

Use your Boston address. Get it notarised in Boston and send it away. Have a chat with DFA online and explain to them what happened, and ask them to put a note in your application while you send the new form away.

Your postal address can always be rerouted when you move away, so you won’t be in a situation where your passport gets lost. https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

Plus, worst case scenario, you can always go to the police station and declare your new passport as lost. Then you can apply for a replacement passport in California or London or anywhere in the world.

You don’t need to travel to London with your Irish passport either. You simply need to travel to Ireland with your US passport and FBR certificate. Tell them you are here to stay as an Irish citizen. They will admit you in as an Irish citizen. Then you can travel to the UK with no border checks whatsoever.