ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish visit visa from Northern Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish visit visa from Northern Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:34 am

Hello
I live in Northern Ireland with UK residence permit. I want to go on holidays from Dublin airport as it’s cheaper so I need a visit visa to go Dublin by road.
My question is when is the visit visa valid from? Is it when I enter Ireland or from the time the visa officer stamps the visa onto my passport?

I’m trying to work out when should I apply for the visa if I want to fly out from Dublin the first week of January’24

Since there are no border control by road where should I go or how do I get my passport stamped that I’ve entered Ireland?

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Irish visit visa from Northern Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:19 am

Hi,
Best you apply for the visa 2 months in advance incase of any delays.

The validity of the visa will depend on your departure date from Ireland (travel itinerary) and also the visa officer. It can start from the day it was issued or your day of arrival in the Republic.

Since you are traveling to the Republic by road, after arrival you need to visit the Garda Immigration office (Headquarters of the police station of the town) of the nearest town next to the border to stamp your passport.

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:58 am

Angel99 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:19 am
Hi,

The validity of the visa will depend on your departure date from Ireland (travel itinerary) and also the visa officer. It can start from the day it was issued or your day of arrival in the Republic.

Since you are traveling to the Republic by road, after arrival you need to visit the Garda Immigration office (Headquarters of the police station of the town) of the nearest town next to the border to stamp your passport.
Thank you so much
Is there any way to guarantee visa validity until I reach Ireland? I mean what if visa officer give me validity to travel between November and December but I need visa to cover first week of January how do I ensure that, will visa officers consider cover letter?

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:57 am

Billi92 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:58 am
Angel99 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much
Is there any way to guarantee visa validity until I reach Ireland? I mean what if visa officer give me validity to travel between November and December but I need visa to cover first week of January how do I ensure that, will visa officers consider cover letter?
When you are filling the form for the visa they will ask you about arrival and departure. Put your dates in January and also add a cover letter with bookings explaining you want to come for sightseeings and ireland is not your final destination.

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:22 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:57 am
Billi92 wrote:
Angel99 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much
When you are filling the form for the visa they will ask you about arrival and departure. Put your dates in January and also add a cover letter with bookings explaining you want to come for sightseeings and ireland is not your final destination.
Okay thank you so much I literally just need to use Dublin airport not even sightseeing can I be honest with them and mention that I only want to fly out of Dublin & that’s the reason I need a visa

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:40 pm

Billi92 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:22 pm
Angel99 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:57 am
Billi92 wrote:
Angel99 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much
Okay thank you so much I literally just need to use Dublin airport not even sightseeing can I be honest with them and mention that I only want to fly out of Dublin & that’s the reason I need a visa
It's up to you if you want to be honest and up to the visa officer if he thinks it's a valid reason to grant you a short stay visa.

chriswickstead
European Union

Post by chriswickstead » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:56 am

Hi Billi,

We live in Belfast (i am UK/irish citizen) and my wife is non-EU/UK..we have the same debate about this every time we see cheap flights from Dublin. And we have always ended up just booking a connecting flight via London/Manchester/Bristol etc. As per our understanding of the rules you would need a multiple entry short stay visa to fly out and then back into Dublin. The rules seem quite strict around granting multiple entry short stay visas and we concluded my wife would not meet the requirements:

Multi entry visas are usually only issued to an applicant who has shown a compliant travel history.

If you have had 2 previous Irish visas and have observed the conditions of these visas (e.g. you did not overstay or work illegally) you may apply for a visa for multiple journeys.
(which could well be different for yourself). Basically we have always taken the hit on extra connecting flight price versus the cost of the visa plus uncertainty of visa application being successful.

Billi92
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Billi92 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:42 pm

chriswickstead wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:56 am
Hi Billi,

We live in Belfast (i am UK/irish citizen) and my wife is non-EU/UK..we have the same debate about this every time we see cheap flights from Dublin. And we have always ended up just booking a connecting flight via London/Manchester/Bristol etc. As per our understanding of the rules you would need a multiple entry short stay visa to fly out and then back into Dublin. The rules seem quite strict around granting multiple entry short stay visas and we concluded my wife would not meet the requirements:

Multi entry visas are usually only issued to an applicant who has shown a compliant travel history.

If you have had 2 previous Irish visas and have observed the conditions of these visas (e.g. you did not overstay or work illegally) you may apply for a visa for multiple journeys.
(which could well be different for yourself). Basically we have always taken the hit on extra connecting flight price versus the cost of the visa plus uncertainty of visa application being successful.
I absolutely understand. That’s why I only want to fly out from Dublin and return to Belfast airport. Hence I don’t need multi entry visa just the single one, tbh I’m still debating whether I should just go from Belfast instead, getting the Irish visa seems too much hassle.

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Hi everyone ,
I read through your posts and thought it was important that I share what I know or have experienced regarding this issue.
I live in Belfast and I applied for my both parents who are non eu here on uk visas .
We literally just filled the forms and laid the fee with minimal documents like passport a cover letter and a proof of address and the visas were granted multiple for 18 months each of them.
I also know of few other families here in Belfast and everyone was granted multiple first time that's how I got this idea originally.
We just told them in the cover letter about Dublin airport thing and that's all. For purposes of travel and used Dublin airport reasons and also occasional day trips to south .
One important thing to remember is that if you are applying from Northern Ireland you don't need to use VFS and don't need biometric unlike others.and the address where you send your documents is also different from other applicants .just make sure you read through those instructions carefully .
If you establish that you genuinely live in Northern Ireland and legally trust me visas won't be refused .
Good luck

New on forum
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by New on forum » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:04 pm

And category to choose is C shirt stay/visit.