ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Naturalisation For a child that Is Over 18yrs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sassybee

Applying for Naturalisation For a child that Is Over 18yrs

Post by sassybee » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:25 pm

Hi All,

Hope my questions find you well and thanks in advance for your answers. My questions are all follows

Background
1. My child turned 18 in may 2023 and has had ILR status for 12mons+ now
2. I am now a British citizen but my partner is not yet British but also due for naturalisation.
3. The child in question was not born in the UK but has lived in the UK for 11yrs

Questions
1. Can I add my 18yr old to my partner's application as a child?
2. If I cannot add my 18yr old to my partner's application, will He be required to take 'Life in UK test' to apply for naturalisation?
3. Will He also require prove of English language to apply for naturalisation?

Thank You

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for Naturalisation For a child that Is Over 18yrs

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:34 pm

1. Can I add my 18yr old to my partner's application as a child?
They are not a child for this purpose. They are an adult and have to qualify in their own right for citizenship and meet all the requirements. If your partner is not the biological parent, I would suggest they complete separate forms.
2. If I cannot add my 18yr old to my partner's application, will He be required to take 'Life in UK test' to apply for naturalisation?
LIUK and English B1 test is mandatory for ANYONE over the age of 18. So yes, your child needs both tests before they can apply for citizenship in their own right. Note there is no concept of 'dependent' for citizenship applications. Each application, regardless of age, must meet the requirements.
3. Will He also require prove of English language to apply for naturalisation?
Yes. It is mandatory.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sassybee

Post by sassybee » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:40 pm

Thanks CR001

My partner is the biological father. Does that make any difference?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 pm

You should be able to add to the form, but it doesn't change anything and doesn't give any advantage or privilege. The 18 year old still needs to meet all the requirements individually and their application, whether joint or on its own, will be processed and assessed on its own merits.

There is also no discount for applying together. The biggest difference is, the child's application 'might' be delayed as the form will not ask for the child's LIUK and B1 information if you add the child to the father's application and UKVI will possibly request the information.

Also note that applying on one form, does not guarantee both will be approved as they are assessed individually. Presumably your 18 year has 5 years residence and was physically present in the UK at the start of the 5 year qualifying period?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.