ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) switch 10-year route to 5-year

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

London_888
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

FLR(M) switch 10-year route to 5-year

Post by London_888 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I just received Leave to Remain as 'Family Member as a partner on the 10-year route'.
I've read so much information on here and other forums but am still very confused whether I can simply re-apply and switch to 5 year one.

I was put on 10-year route because of the overstay but was able to prove 'unjustifiably harsh cirsumstances' if I were to come back to my home country and refusal would breach Article 8. Can I apply with the same set of documents + BRP, using the form FLR(M) and asking to be put on 5-year route? The lawyer said I have to follow the 10-year route now but they've been wrong before and what they say contradicts my understanding of the rules.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

secret.simon

Re: FLR(M) switch 10-year route to 5-year

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:56 pm

As this is your first post, we don't have any knowledge of your immigration history.

But it appears that you do not meet the requirements of FLR(M).

If you fail to meet the requirements under FLR(M), but do prove 'unjustifiably harsh circumstances' or otherwise engage the provisions of Article 8, you are put on the 10 year pathway to ILR. That is normal.

To be on the five year pathway to ILR, you need to meet the full requirements of FLR(M).

If you do not, but you engage Article 8 or some other provisions, you are allowed to stay in the UK (i.e. you now have limited leave to remain), but you will be on the 10 year pathway to ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

London_888
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by London_888 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:17 pm

Thank you for your reply.

When I applied, I didn't meet immigration requirement for FLR(M) as I overstayed my visa. But, thankfully, they put me on 10 year route because of the Article 8 etc.

What I don't understand is whether I can now apply for FLR(M) again, using the same set of documents + my BRP. Immigration requirement will be fulfilled, as I'm in the country legally now.

Would they put me on a 5-year route to ILR instead?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:22 pm

If you meet all the requirement for FLR(M) (financial, English, cohabitation evidence etc), then yes you can apply. You will have to pay the visa and IHS fees again.

All fees are increasing on 4th October.

announces/fees-2018-t228357.html#p2129507
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

London_888
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by London_888 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:45 pm

Thank very much for this. Now it all makes sense.

I might wait for first extension and start 5-year route then. If only it wasn't so expensive! :roll:

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:09 am

London_888 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:45 pm
I might wait for first extension and start 5-year route then.
Keep in mind that your ILR clock will reset to zero when you switch pathways anyway. So, if you are granted FLR(M) at a later time, keep in mind that you will need to complete five years on FLR(M) from that point in time to be eligible for ILR, assuming that the rules don't change.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

London_888
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by London_888 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:41 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:09 am
London_888 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:45 pm
I might wait for first extension and start 5-year route then.
Keep in mind that your ILR clock will reset to zero when you switch pathways anyway. So, if you are granted FLR(M) at a later time, keep in mind that you will need to complete five years on FLR(M) from that point in time to be eligible for ILR, assuming that the rules don't change.
Great, thank you for clarifying! :)