ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long can I spend abroad

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

londoner1200
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

How long can I spend abroad

Post by londoner1200 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:10 pm

I have a refugee status and have indefinite leave to remain. I have UK travel document. My question is how long can I continuously stay outside of the UK? Is it 6 months?

Thanks a lot

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How long can I spend abroad

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:14 pm

Which country are you planning to go to?? If you home country, that would be a problem.

You can stay out of the UK for as long as you want. Note however that ILR is lost automatically if you are absent from the UK for 2 or more years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:16 pm

If you plan to apply for British citizenship, no more than 90 days in the year immediatly preceding the date of naturalisation application and no more than 450 days in the five years preceding that same date.

If you don't plan to apply for British citizenship, any continuous absence of two years leads to an automatic lapse of ILR, as mentioned above by CR001.

Even if you keep coming back to the UK regularly, if you are absent for long periods of time and keep leaving the UK after short stays, and if the Immigration Officer concludes that you are only visiting the UK regularly, not residing here, they can cancel your ILR at the airport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:20 pm

Also, what happened to your British citizenship that you had a year ago?

post2071892.html#p2071892
I claimed asylum and got my British passport via naturalisation about 10 years ago.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.