ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

absence last 1 year, start of year not in uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mrbzu
Newly Registered

absence last 1 year, start of year not in uk

Post by mrbzu » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:49 pm

HI,
My wife is on 5 year spouse visa route and due for indefinate leave but i have a question about absence for naturalization. she is applying for indefinate leave in december 2023 and we hope to get approval by april 2024. she was out of Uk from May 2023 to October 2023 for full 5 months. when she can apply for naturalization? do you have to be in UK when you count for last 1 year? will she be entitled to apply soon after indefinate leave or she has to wait for july to apply or it has to be october? what are the rules

alterhase58
Germany

Re: absence last 1 year, start of year not in uk

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:06 pm

Your spouse can apply as soon as she gains ILR (if you are British) and satisfies all requirements.
There's no such rule for the 12 months preceding the application date. She needs to be in the UK on the first day of the start of the 3 year residency period.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Re: absence last 1 year, start of year not in uk

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:33 am

As @alterhase58 has advised above, there is no requirement for being in the UK at the start of the year, only at the start of the three year period.

If your spouse meets *all* other requirements, you can request discretion to disregard the no-more-than-90-days-in-last-year absences requirement.

Discretion can be used to disregard *one* requirement.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.