ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and British Citizen Passport Costs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

ILR and British Citizen Passport Costs

Post by THO » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:35 am

Hi All,

My wife and I can apply for her ILR in just over 12 months time as she will have been married to me and living in the UK for 5 years. I am reading that the cost for ILR is £2,404 and that British citizenship (12 months later) is £1,351.

These seem to be the figures for 23, so I expect they will increase for 24? But am I correct, or are they higher or lower. Just want to ensure I have saved additional funds.

Also, will ILR mean that she can travel more easily than currently or does she still have to get all the visas etc, that she does currently. For instance traveling to Europe. She is Vietnamese.

Thanks,

THO

meself2
Ireland

Re: ILR and British Citizen Passport Costs

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:42 am

THO wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:35 am
and that British citizenship (12 months later) is £1,351
If you're British, she doesn't have to wait for 12 months - she can apply immediately.
THO wrote:
Also, will ILR mean that she can travel more easily than currently or does she still have to get all the visas etc, that she does currently.
She would still need all the visas.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:08 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:42 am
THO wrote:
and that British citizenship (12 months later) is £1,351
If you're British, she doesn't have to wait for 12 months - she can apply immediately.
THO wrote:
Also, will ILR mean that she can travel more easily than currently or does she still have to get all the visas etc, that she does currently.
She would still need all the visas.
Please note that most UK immigration and nationality fees have gone up on 4 October 2023 - adult naturalisation is now £1580 (incl. ceremony).
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ationality

@THO ILR is a UK only status it does not give any travel privileges outside the UK - if wife is a visa national then visas need to be obtained.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:15 am

Thanks for the replies. So just to be clear, please can you tell me (in today's money) how much will we need to find for her to first get ILR and then get a British passport, which we can apply for immediately.

I am British born and bred, so that is great news that she does not have to wait a further year to get her passport. Thanks.

THO.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 am

THO wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:15 am
Thanks for the replies. So just to be clear, please can you tell me (in today's money) how much will we need to find for her to first get ILR and then get a British passport, which we can apply for immediately. British passport isn't the next step, naturalisation is!

I am British born and bred, so that is great news that she does not have to wait a further year to get her passport. Thanks.

THO.
ILR hasn't changed
£1500 for naturalisation + £80 ceremony
Adult (16 and over) standard 34-page passport £82.50
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:31 am

ILR is currently £2885, effective 4th october. This is the cost for standard service. Super priority service i available costs £1000 extra.

She needs to apply for, be apprived and attend rhe ceremony to naturalised as british before she can apply for a passport. Two separate processes. Naturalisation is now £1580. If approved, passport is a separate cost.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:11 pm

Thanks all. Looks like need to find another 4K and a bit then to complete this process.

I do hope we don't have to go through all the same process of proof of income and language etc etc?

I'm reading it takes up to 6 months for ILR come through, non priority, and then up to 6 months for naturalisation application to approved and no fast track possible, before we can apply for her passport, which will take a few weeks to get I guess also.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:26 pm

I do hope we don't have to go through all the same process of proof of income and language etc etc?
For ilr, all the requirements have to be met plus B1 english and liuk tests.
I'm reading it takes up to 6 months for ILR come through, non priority
Correct but usually around 2 to 3 months.
and then up to 6 months for naturalisation application to approved and no fast track possible,
Correct and sometimes it takes longer than 6 months. Note she is only british once the ceremony has been attended and that step depends on availability of your council. Approval alone does not make her british.
before we can apply for her passport, which will take a few weeks to get I guess also.
Takes anywhere between 2 and 10 weeks, depending on the time of year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:30 pm

Thanks CROO.

This is an expensive process and so painful.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:30 am

THO wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:30 pm
Thanks CROO.

This is an expensive process and so painful.
It indeed is revenue.