ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rules relaxation for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zusman
Pakistan

Rules relaxation for citizenship

Post by zusman » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:01 pm

Hi guy,
I heard some rules were relaxed last year for citizenship. Like after getting ilr, rules are relaxed for good character requirement. Can you please point out that information please.
Thank you very much.

Numidian
Newly Registered

Re: Rules relaxation for citizenship

Post by Numidian » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:34 pm

Yes, you don't need to be in the UK for 10 years to apply for citizenship.
5 years and 1 year ILR is enough.
They won't ask if you overstayed your visa or you came into the UK illegally.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:47 pm

Numidian wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:34 pm
Yes, you don't need to be in the UK for 10 years to apply for citizenship. Was there such a rule? Wasn't it always 5 years lawful residence?
5 years and 1 year ILR is enough.
They won't ask if you overstayed your visa or you came into the UK illegally.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:01 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:47 pm
Yes, you don't need to be in the UK for 10 years to apply for citizenship. Was there such a rule? Wasn't it always 5 years lawful residence?
Prior to last year, in addition to the 5 years lawful residence and 1 year of ILR requirements specified in the BNA 1981, the Home Office also required that there be no illegal residence in the preceding 10 years, as a part of the good character requirements. The definition of "good character" is left to the discretion of the SSHD/Home Office.

That was watered down in July 2022. I don't think that the requirement has been explicitly removed. It is more on the lines that if the applicant has ILR and meets the other requirements, the legality of any earlier residence will not be actively investigated.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

zusman
Pakistan

Post by zusman » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:09 pm

Thanks for reply.
Can anyone post some link with all the details about this please.thanks