ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling with a Certificate of Naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

trolotron
Newly Registered
Mood:
Kyrgyzstan

Traveling with a Certificate of Naturalization

Post by trolotron » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:20 pm

I am scheduled to go on a trip in January 2024. I recently attended the naturalization ceremony in October, and my Irish Residence Permit (IRP) is set to expire in December of this year. Since it's unlikely that I'll have my Irish passport by January 2024, I have a question: Can I travel using my non-Irish passport and present my Certificate of Naturalization as an alternative to my expiring IRP?

Of course, I could apply for a new IRP, but I am looking for ways to potentially save 300 EUR.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Traveling with a Certificate of Naturalization

Post by Vadrar » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:25 pm

Your certificate will be grand for entry at Irish immigration into the RoI. The question will be about boarding your return flight. If you are a visa required national your airline is unlikely to recognise a naturalisation certificate- they may, but also may not. It will depend on where you are departing from, your original passport and the airline. Ryanair from UK might recognise it - other options very uncertain.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 pm

Vadrar wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:25 pm
Ryanair from UK might recognise it - other options very uncertain.
If OP is a visa required national for Ireland, chances that they need a visa to UK are extremely high.

For OP, that's a big risk you just won't be able to return - airlines may not be familiar with certificate and will most likely not to take the risk, as it's not an acceptable travel document.

You can try to get a re-entry visa, as (technically) you don't need IRP as an Irish citizen.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:39 pm

Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:03 pm

meself2 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:33 pm
Vadrar wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:25 pm
Ryanair from UK might recognise it - other options very uncertain.
If OP is a visa required national for Ireland, chances that they need a visa to UK are extremely high.

For OP, that's a big risk you just won't be able to return - airlines may not be familiar with certificate and will most likely not to take the risk, as it's not an acceptable travel document.

You can try to get a re-entry visa, as (technically) you don't need IRP as an Irish citizen.
The risk is the point of my post.

I’m assuming they have a visa (if needed) for their destination - their post is asking about renewing an IRP which is only relevant for a trip into RoI, it isn’t relevant for any outbound trip- including UK. So I presume they are asking about RoI entry only.

Ryanair on the route from UK to Ireland have a (potted - not certain) history of recognising Irish naturalisation certificate - it’s an example of an airline and a route that might allow boarding to ROI on the cert and to illustrate how specific the options for using the cert are.

trolotron
Newly Registered
Mood:
Kyrgyzstan

Post by trolotron » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:44 am

Thank you all for the replies; it's greatly appreciated. I shared the same concern. I don't believe the Irish border police would have any issues with using the certificate, but airlines, on the other hand, could potentially pose a problem. I don't want to risk my trip, so I've decided to renew my IRP. It's a shame that 300 EUR has gone to waste – what a rip-off! 😄

AlmostIrish_111
Ireland

Post by AlmostIrish_111 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:57 am

trolotron wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:44 am
Thank you all for the replies; it's greatly appreciated. I shared the same concern. I don't believe the Irish border police would have any issues with using the certificate, but airlines, on the other hand, could potentially pose a problem. I don't want to risk my trip, so I've decided to renew my IRP. It's a shame that 300 EUR has gone to waste – what a rip-off! 😄
I assume you are applying for a Stamp 6 (https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... tizenship/) so it wouldn't be a total money waster.

With the stamp 6 you should be able travel as an Irish citizen, even if you are using your home country passport.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:19 am

AlmostIrish_111 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:57 am
With the stamp 6 you should be able travel as an Irish citizen, even if you are using your home country passport.
Unfortunately, no.
I don't think you get an IRP with Stamp 6. I even checked ISD online renewal site - you can't choose Stamp 6 as a type of stamp you want.
It's basically a rubber stamp in your passport; airlines will just not let you on your flight with it.

See post2127024.html#p2127024 (and specifically post2090027.html#p2090027 )

AlmostIrish_111
Ireland

Post by AlmostIrish_111 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:35 am

You need to contact DRPCustomerservice@justice.ie for Stamp 5 and 6, it is not directly through the website.

I checked with them when renewing my visa and that is the answer that I got.

Why wouldn't airlines let you in? You have a valid passport and a valid visa.
Last edited by AlmostIrish_111 on Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:37 am

AlmostIrish_111 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:35 am
You need to contact DRPCustomerservice@justice.ie for Stamp 5 and 6, it is not directly through the website.
Yes, but as it doesn't provide IRP, I have huge doubts a visa national for Ireland will be let on a plane with this stamp.

AlmostIrish_111
Ireland

Post by AlmostIrish_111 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:40 am

meself2 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:37 am
AlmostIrish_111 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:35 am
Yes, but as it doesn't provide IRP, I have huge doubts a visa national for Ireland will be let on a plane with this stamp.
It is valid to send an email to the airline you normally fly with and check if they accept, and with the email response you have something to show in case any check-in agent gives you grief.

At least that would be, or will be my approach, once I have a naturalisation certificate.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:34 pm

Stamp 6 is not a visa. It’s a stamp in the passport that is not recognised by airlines. The correct process would be to first apply for a Stamp 6, and then apply for a Re-entry visa, both of which are free. You have plenty of time to do both if your trip is in January.

Do not apply for a new IRP card. You have already attended the naturalisation ceremony. You cannot be issued a new IRP card.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:47 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:34 pm
Stamp 6 is not a visa. It’s a stamp in the passport that is not recognised by airlines. The correct process would be to first apply for a Stamp 6, and then apply for a Re-entry visa, both of which are free.
Can you direct me to confirm free isuance of the re-entry visa for Stnap 6 holders? Last time a bureacrat wanted to charge me a hundred or so Euros and I gave up.

Thanks

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm

input-output wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:47 pm
littlerr wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:34 pm
Stamp 6 is not a visa. It’s a stamp in the passport that is not recognised by airlines. The correct process would be to first apply for a Stamp 6, and then apply for a Re-entry visa, both of which are free.
Can you direct me to confirm free isuance of the re-entry visa for Stnap 6 holders? Last time a bureacrat wanted to charge me a hundred or so Euros and I gave up.

Thanks
A google search returns this: https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... tizenship/

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:27 am

Vadrar wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:22 pm

A google search returns this: https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... tizenship/
Thanks! However, my original question still stands - the page says about the free stamp but not the re-entry visa being issued free of charge. I would not want to haggle with airline trying to prove that a stamp in the absence of re-entry visa is sufficient.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:35 am

input-output wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:27 am
I would not want to haggle with airline trying to prove that a stamp in the absence of re-entry visa is sufficient.
It really isn't.

There's no clear statement about re-entry visas being free or even them being present that I could find - best we have is a PQ with re entry visa forms (wild, I know).
Technically, family members of Irish citizens are exempt from visa fee, which could be attempted to be used as an argument, but I don't know.
Why can't you apply for a passport? You need to apply for a reentry visa every single time.