ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on stamp 4 and D Spouse Visa...Help please!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Question on stamp 4 and D Spouse Visa...Help please!

Post by pauliesgirl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:06 am

Ok, I'm a US citizen. My Irish citizen fiance and I have been approved by the Irish marriage registrar to be married in Ireland this March. My question is, what is the quickest way for me to be able to live and work in Ireland with him ASAP? If I researched correctly, it'll take 14-16 months to process if I enter as a C tourist visa, but if I enter as a D spouse visa, after we're married we can go straight to the gnib office and get a stamp 4 on my passport? Can I get a D spouse visa before I go to Ireland in march (before I'm married) since my intent is to marry there? Please help me! I'm so confused and I just want to be with my fiance (soon to be husband) as soon as possibl! And I'd like to save the plane trip back once we're married to enter as a D spouse visa if I can get it for when I come in March. Please help! Thank you!

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Question on stamp 4 and D Spouse Visa...Help please!

Post by mktsoi » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:16 am

pauliesgirl wrote:Ok, I'm a US citizen. My Irish citizen fiance and I have been approved by the Irish marriage registrar to be married in Ireland this March. My question is, what is the quickest way for me to be able to live and work in Ireland with him ASAP? If I researched correctly, it'll take 14-16 months to process if I enter as a C tourist visa, but if I enter as a D spouse visa, after we're married we can go straight to the gnib office and get a stamp 4 on my passport? Can I get a D spouse visa before I go to Ireland in march (before I'm married) since my intent is to marry there? Please help me! I'm so confused and I just want to be with my fiance (soon to be husband) as soon as possibl! And I'd like to save the plane trip back once we're married to enter as a D spouse visa if I can get it for when I come in March. Please help! Thank you!
you better off fly to vagas and do it there in an hour instead of trying to get marry in ireland. you should read some of the old post in this forum. i think there is a waiting period if you want to get marry in ireland, so you better off get marry in states!

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 am

As you come from a country which does not require a visa to enter Ireland, your case is much simpler. After marriage, you can present yourselves to the GNIB and apply for your Stamp4 that way. There are some older posts by American/Singaporean spouses of Irish Citizens who had little hassle post marriage with getting a residency permit. Ignore any posts about citizens from visa required countries as these are the ones subject to the 14-16 month waiting period.

You can confirm this information with your local GNIB office or telephone the GNIB alternatively.

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Post by ferrellk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm

pauliesgirl wrote:Ok, I'm a US citizen. My Irish citizen fiance and I have been approved by the Irish marriage registrar to be married in Ireland this March. My question is, what is the quickest way for me to be able to live and work in Ireland with him ASAP? If I researched correctly, it'll take 14-16 months to process if I enter as a C tourist visa, but if I enter as a D spouse visa, after we're married we can go straight to the gnib office and get a stamp 4 on my passport? Can I get a D spouse visa before I go to Ireland in march (before I'm married) since my intent is to marry there? Please help me! I'm so confused and I just want to be with my fiance (soon to be husband) as soon as possibl! And I'd like to save the plane trip back once we're married to enter as a D spouse visa if I can get it for when I come in March. Please help! Thank you!
You don't need a visa to enter Ireland.

You can stay up to 3 months in Ireland with a tourist stamp upon entry. So, arrive a little less than 3 months before your wedding. You can be honest with immigration and state you will be married on March xx. Once married, go with the cert, your passport, and your husband (and his passport!) to the GNIB and get your stamp 4. You will then be eligible to work without a permit.

Congrats!

zafarzafar
BANNED

Marriage in Ireland

Post by zafarzafar » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 am

Hi There
i would suggest not to get married in ireland because of the long queue and secondly you would be on visit visa which lasts for 90 days, as you have to go back to USA and apply from there or you have to face a long waiting period before you get stamp 4.
The best way i would suggest to go back to US and get marry there and there would be no problem to travel and to get stamp 4.
it would be a hell for u if u get married in ireland
Good luck
zafar
arsalan

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:09 pm

I presume that "the Queue" that Zafarzafar refers to is the Waiting List for a Marriage Date at the Dublin Registry office. Most other registry offices do not have such queues. So it really depends on which office you wish to marry at. I am presuming that when you say "have been approved for marriage" that you mean you have already both had the inital meeting with a Registrar to announce your intent to marry (i.e. the 3 months legal notice period of intent to marry).
As you have already started the "Notification process" you will not have any other delays your impending marriage.

Contrary to what Zafarzafar states, as a US citizen you do NOT have to leave Ireland after your marriage to expedite the process of getting your Stamp 4. Instead, both you and your then husband will need to present yourselves along with the required documentation (see INIS website) to a GNIB office who will issue you with a Stamp 4. You should then also apply for a Re-entry visa so you can exit and re-enter the state without issues. This should take all of a few minutes once you get to see a GNIB officer.

zafarzafar
BANNED

MArriage

Post by zafarzafar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:51 am

Hello Sir
With all due respect I do not agree with scrudu because on visit visa 90 days (even for US or any other citizen) you are not allowed to enguage any business or thing like to get stamp 4, read article of visit visa...
It was the case before 2006 when u can enter in the state and GNIB was very relaxed about granting stamp 4 even if u was on visit visa but now they are like injured Lion (very angry with non EU people) who are looking for residence.
arsalan

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:26 am

Hello Sir With all due respect I do not agree with scrudu because on visit visa 90 days (even for US or any other citizen) you are not allowed to enguage any business or thing like to get stamp 4, read article of visit visa...
It was the case before 2006 when u can enter in the state and GNIB was very relaxed about granting stamp 4 even if u was on visit visa but now they are like injured Lion (very angry with non EU people) who are looking for residence.
Hello pauliesgirl and everyone,

I just like to mention how my friends (Japanese, non- visa required nationals which is the same as US citizen) got married last summer 2008 in Ireland, and got a Stamp 4 from tourist status.
Scrubu and ferrellk are right. Of course Irish immigration laws have been changing and becoming tougher, and may change again, but anyway so far and at moment, scrudu has the best answer and I don't want pauliesgirl to get confused.

As I am a Japanese who got married to an Irish man last year (I was on Stamp1, basis on w.permit) I know about 2 Jpn-Irl couples married last year.

The first couple met in Australia about 3 years ago, spent 2 years together over there and when he visted Japan at the end of 2007, they got engaged. Then she stayed in Japan while he orgnised the three months notification of intention to marry. She recieved a letter of confirmation of intention to marry by register officer. She arrived in Dublin Airport end of May 2008 with the letter and told an officer about their engagement. The officer started asking her questions, so she showed him the letter, then that was no problem. He gave her Stamp3(non-EEA visitor) for 2month They had a nice chat about their wedding and honeymoon and he congratulated her! They got married in Ireland about a month later and went to GNIB with the all document as ferrellk mentioned earlier. She got Stamp 4 straight away without any troubles.

The second couple I know met in the US, and spent some years together there. They then decided to get married in Ireland, and she arrived as a tourist with him, getting a stamp 3 for one month. They went to the local immigration office to extend her permission to remain, explaining about the wedding and the length of time it would take them to get their paperwork done - both of them were divorced. The officer gave her extended permission to remain as a visitor without any hassle, and this gave them time to get married, and after that she also got the Stamp 4 immediately at the local immigration office.

Hope this clears things up for you, and good luck with everything.