ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renunciation process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jacksavvy
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Renunciation process

Post by jacksavvy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:38 am

Hello,

For the Renunciation of Indian Citizenship process - do we only have to fill an online form and submit along with all the documents or just like in OCI we have to physically make an appointment to submit the application?

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

sathyauk
India

Re: Renunciation process

Post by sathyauk » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:55 pm

jacksavvy wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:38 am
Hello,

For the Renunciation of Indian Citizenship process - do we only have to fill an online form and submit along with all the documents or just like in OCI we have to physically make an appointment to submit the application?

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1. You need to fill online form and upload required documents
2. Book an appointment with near by India Mission to sign the declaration form
3. Book an with VFS with printed form from online application and submit with the required documents.

jacksavvy
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jacksavvy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:10 pm

Thank you so much for your replies..

As per the gov.in link .. https://cgibirmingham.gov.in/page/display/25

"Applications for Surrender of Indian Passports are no longer received in the consulate. This service has been outsourced to the India Visa Application Center. Applicants are therefore, requested to submit their Applications to the above center. For detail please visit http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/Surrender.html. "

So do I still need to go through point number (2) "Book an appointment with near by India Mission to sign the declaration form" - that you mentioned above or straightaway book an appt with VFS.

By the way, the above link is for CGI Birmingham and I'm in London - but the process will still be the same I presume.

Thanks!

sathyauk
India

Post by sathyauk » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:26 pm

jacksavvy wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:10 pm
Thank you so much for your replies..

As per the gov.in link .. https://cgibirmingham.gov.in/page/display/25

"Applications for Surrender of Indian Passports are no longer received in the consulate. This service has been outsourced to the India Visa Application Center. Applicants are therefore, requested to submit their Applications to the above center. For detail please visit http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/Surrender.html. "

So do I still need to go through point number (2) "Book an appointment with near by India Mission to sign the declaration form" - that you mentioned above or straightaway book an appt with VFS.

By the way, the above link is for CGI Birmingham and I'm in London - but the process will still be the same I presume.

Thanks!
Actually It has two process, you have to do both the Surrender & Renunciation
1. Surrender of Indian Passport - You need to fill the form using https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html. Then book an appointment with VFS to surrender the passport, in this case you don't need to visit Indian Mission
2. Renunciation of Indian Passport - You need to fill the form using https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/Renounce. Then book an appointment with Indian mission to sign the form for witenessing. Then book an appointment with VFS to submit the form for processing Renunciation Certificate.

May be you can submit the both the forms on the same day. Hope this helps, still if you confused, I would recommend to walkin to nearest VFS center and clarify all you doubts.

har3601
Newly Registered
India

Post by har3601 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:48 am

Hi,

I have a query on the renunciation process and would be great to have a clarity from the group.

I have applied for my surrender appointment in the first week of December and trying to get the renunciation process booked.

(i) Do i need to wait for the surrender certificate to book renunciation appointment?

(ii) It's not clear in the HCI guidelines if we need to visit them directly to get the form attested. when i try to fix an appointment, it shows London VFS slots and nothing on the high commission. Do we still need to visit the HCI in London before going to VFS? If i need to visit the HCI, am not able to find a link to book a slot with them

Thanks

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:09 pm

Hi har3601,

1) Yes, you need to have your surrender certificate copy. HCI website says you can apply Renunciation and Surrender certificate in parallel but it is lot easier if you have surrendered your Indian passport before Renunciation appointment.

2) If you are based in London, you can book your appointment at VFS Goswell. You get slots only between 3:00pm and 04:00pm. HCI officer comes to VFS Goswell in that 1 hour slot and signs Renunciation form for applicants. For applications outside London, first need a CGI appointment and then VFS appointment. Only VFS Goswell has this option and not VFS Hounslow.

Good luck.

har3601
Newly Registered
India

Post by har3601 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:32 pm

DineshSRD wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:09 pm
Hi har3601,

1) Yes, you need to have your surrender certificate copy. HCI website says you can apply Renunciation and Surrender certificate in parallel but it is lot easier if you have surrendered your Indian passport before Renunciation appointment.

2) If you are based in London, you can book your appointment at VFS Goswell. You get slots only between 3:00pm and 04:00pm. HCI officer comes to VFS Goswell in that 1 hour slot and signs Renunciation form for applicants. For applications outside London, first need a CGI appointment and then VFS appointment. Only VFS Goswell has this option and not VFS Hounslow.

Good luck.
Hi Dinesh,

thank you, that's really helpful

Thanks
Hari

KomRaj
Newly Registered
India

Post by KomRaj » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:19 am

Do we need to have British Passport in hand before applying for surrender and renunciation? or one could apply soon after receiving the certificate of naturalisation? Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:26 am

KomRaj wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:19 am
Do we need to have British Passport in hand before applying for surrender and renunciation? or one could apply soon after receiving the certificate of naturalisation? Many thanks!
You need your british passport first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KomRaj
Newly Registered
India

Post by KomRaj » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:51 am

Thank you so much for your time and expert advice. Best wishes

nehurane
Newly Registered

Post by nehurane » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:56 pm

Hello,
Sorry for asking on someone else thread.
I just filled Renunciation form online and submitted the application. But when I went of payment page it abruptly throw me out and not letting me go in. Do I need to pay online only or can pay there at VFS?

Art87ee
United Kingdom

Post by Art87ee » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:37 am

nehurane wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:56 pm
Hello,
I just filled Renunciation form online and submitted the application. But when I went of payment page it abruptly throw me out and not letting me go in. Do I need to pay online only or can pay there at VFS?
It's a terribly built website/system. Anyway, you can pay at VFS if the online payment system isn't working.

nehurane
Newly Registered

Post by nehurane » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Art87ee wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:37 am
nehurane wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:56 pm
Hello,
It's a terribly built website/system. Anyway, you can pay at VFS if the online payment system isn't working.
Thank you!

shreeni
Newly Registered
India

Post by shreeni » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:30 am

DineshSRD wrote:

HCI website says you can apply Renunciation and Surrender certificate in parallel but it is lot easier if you have surrendered your Indian passport before Renunciation appointment.

Good luck.
Sorry for being a pain by asking this question. You mention that "it is a lot easier" to do it one after the other. Is there a "less easier" way to parallelise this? i.e. what would happen if I land up for my renunciation appointment without a surrender certificate? Would they turn me down?

Also, would you happen to know how long it takes for the Surrender Certificate to come through?

nehurane
Newly Registered

Post by nehurane » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:15 pm

shreeni wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:30 am
DineshSRD wrote:

HCI website says you can apply Renunciation and Surrender certificate in parallel but it is lot easier if you have surrendered your Indian passport before Renunciation appointment.

Good luck.
Sorry for being a pain by asking this question. You mention that "it is a lot easier" to do it one after the other. Is there a "less easier" way to parallelise this? i.e. what would happen if I land up for my renunciation appointment without a surrender certificate? Would they turn me down?

Also, would you happen to know how long it takes for the Surrender Certificate to come through?
To apply renunciation you do not need surrender certificate. I did my application on 4th Dec at VFS Goswell and they did not took my surrender certificate copy or checked original. Upon arrival they gives you page stating list of required documents.
Please provide self-attested photocopies of the documents mentioned
  • 1. Appointment Letter confirmation
    2. Online Application form
    3. Photo 2x2 inch
    4. Photocopies of front and back page of the latest and all previously available Indian passport
    5. Naturalisation Certificate
    6. Current Passport
    7. UK address proof
    8. Online payment receipt if paid online.

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:04 am

Hi nehurane,

We can apply for Renunciation certificate before Surrender certificate application or in parallel with Surrender certificate application. But you won’t get your Renunciation certificate until a Surrender certificate is granted. Surrender certificate is issued by HCI London whereas Renunciation certificate is issued by Ministry of home affairs in Delhi. That is why it is easier if you submit your Surrender certificate for Renunciation certificate application, so the officer in Ministry of home affairs doesn’t have to look up and wait for Surrender certificate which might (or will) prolong their decision for your Renunciation certificate approval. Also you cannot renounce a citizenship whilst holding a valid passport of that country.

Hi shreeni, answer for your first question is in this response above. Surrender certificate timeline is very quick, you should get it in 5 to 7 days from the day of your appointment.

Good luck.

immg83
Mood:
India

Post by immg83 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:38 am

Hi,

I have submitted the Surrender Certificate (SC) Application and Renunciation Certificate Application (RC) yesterday and would like to share my feedback.
1. I would recommend to apply both SC & RC at the same time.
1. Fill the online application for RC & SC
2. book the appointment for RC first (If you are in London HCI area then book the appointment for RC first which will be in evening slot at VFS Goselwell center. As you need to have the signature of HCI officer for RC application
3. Book the appointment for SC for same day which already book for RC in morning slot. So you will have 2 appointments for a day for SC in morning and for RC in evening - Please note that system doesn't allow to book two appointments until 1 day before your appointment. So book the 2nd (SC) appointment 1 day before RC appointment date
4. Make 2 files with all required documents for RC & SC application submission
5. Request at VFS center to take SC applications as well along with RC application in evening slot (Remember to have the SC appointment for morning, if you don't book the SC appointment they wouldn't consider it)
6. Both SC & RC application submitted successfully with single visit :)

P.S.: #5 above is not certain. You may be refused and come back again for SC appointment but no harm in giving a go as traveling to London is not easy for many of us.

nikita10
Newly Registered

Post by nikita10 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:33 pm

immg83 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:38 am
Hi,

I have submitted the Surrender Certificate (SC) Application and Renunciation Certificate Application (RC) yesterday and would like to share my feedback.
2. book the appointment for RC first (If you are in London HCI area then book the appointment for RC first which will be in evening slot at VFS Goselwell center. As you need to have the signature of HCI officer for RC application
3. Book the appointment for SC for same day which already book for RC in morning slot. So you will have 2 appointments for a day for SC in morning and for RC in evening - Please note that system doesn't allow to book two appointments until 1 day before your appointment. So book the 2nd (SC) appointment 1 day before RC appointment date
5. Request at VFS center to take SC applications as well along with RC application in evening slot (Remember to have the SC appointment for morning, if you don't book the SC appointment they wouldn't consider it)

P.S.: #5 above is not certain. You may be refused and come back again for SC appointment but no harm in giving a go as traveling to London is not easy for many of us.
Thanks for the details, really helpful. I already have a SC and going to attempt this trick with my OCI. The VFS counter person said that they can accept OCI application with the receipt of RC. The problem is that they only have OCI appointments in the morning while RC appointments are in late afternoon.

Quick questions:
  • Did you have to goto the center in the morning at your original SC appointment and then request it to be done together with your SC appointment in the afternoon? Couldn't they just do this in the morning? Asking this as I live far from London and spending the whole day in London will be challenging for me.
  • Do they need 1 or 2 photographs for RC?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:47 pm

nikita10 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:33 pm
immg83 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the details, really helpful. I already have a SC and going to attempt this trick with my OCI. The VFS counter person said that they can accept OCI application with the receipt of RC. The problem is that they only have OCI appointments in the morning while RC appointments are in late afternoon.

Quick questions:
  • Did you have to goto the center in the morning at your original SC appointment and then request it to be done together with your SC appointment in the afternoon? Couldn't they just do this in the morning? Asking this as I live far from London and spending the whole day in London will be challenging for me.
  • Do they need 1 or 2 photographs for RC?
As mentioned here post2136767.html#p2136767 , they can't as a person with authority to sign shows up in the afternoon.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

r_amrelia123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by r_amrelia123 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:41 pm

Hi can someone tell me please,there is a section on the online form when you are applying for the renouncing certificate, it asks you if u have any children but doesn't ask you about their nationality,my child is born in UK and holds British nationality, what I should do what I should put in the section please advise

immg83
Mood:
India

Post by immg83 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:15 pm

Hi,
You can fill the child details in section 5 and there it ask the Child nationality, child passport country, child birth country etc. I filled for my 2 UK born Kids. It's little confusing section as when form submitted and section 5 is about the children who are citizen of India. So, i would say fill it with all the details. This is what i did.

r_amrelia123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by r_amrelia123 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:50 pm

hi the first page there is a section asking citizen of india and gives u the option by birth descent registration or naturalisation what to select there as its not allowing to me to go forward until i fill that or should i choose no minor children i dont understand what to do please advise as my child is british born thanka

_rajini
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by _rajini » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:43 am

Hi

I submitted my renunciation form online and paid 8000 rupees. My application needs some correction but i'm unable to do it online. I requested for help on hci email address but they haven't responded in the last 20 days.
At VFS I was told to apply for a new form. DOnt want to lose the money for a small correction. Any help appreciated on how to sort this please.

popeangela
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by popeangela » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 pm

immg83 wrote:
Hi,

Hi, thanks for this information. Just to confirm if I got this right. HCI official will sign the RC forms etc even if your SC process has not been completed? I have booked an appointment for RC say on 7 march and then a SC appointment on 8 march morning. Hoping that the VFS people will take both SC and RC applications at the same time. Does this make sense?
Or should I book the SC appointment in the morning of 7 March and come back in the evening for the RC appointment? I want to avoid waiting for hours between the two appointments.
Thank you!

travelagain1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by travelagain1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:04 pm

Thanks this was a very helpful post.

I just want to confirm my understanding -

I have submitted both the forms online for passport surrender and RENUNCIATION OF CITIZENSHIP.

Do I book "Surrender of Indian Passport Appointment" first ?

And then, "For Submission of Renunciation of Indian citizenship Appointment" ?

Also, suppose I accidentally booked the " Renunciation of Indian citizenship Appointment" first, is that a problem. The system does not allow me to book the surrender application now as I have just booked the Renunciation appointment...

Would you recommend I cancel the renunciation appointment and book the surrender appointment instead ?

Appointment centre is Goswell.