ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence card to Indefinite leave to remain

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

HS007
Newly Registered
South Africa

Permanent residence card to Indefinite leave to remain

Post by HS007 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:11 am

A bit of back ground. My EU wife has settled status and so does my daughter, my son is a British passport holder. Residence document as follow: 17.11.2008-17.11.2013 Residence card of a family member of an eea national and current 10.12.2013-10.12.2023 permanent residence card. We own a property( still encumbered my a mortgage) and both my wife and I have been in full time employment for the whole of the duration of stay in the UK. I did not apply for settled status but I am looking at applying for long residence 10 year route. When looking at the application it does not state that practicing EEA treaty rights includes lawful stay. And I’m wondering if I should be looking at a different route or if the BRC valid for 10 years count towards lawful stay. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

vinny

Re: 10 Permanent residence card to Indefinite leave to remain

Post by vinny » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:24 am

Why didn’t you apply for settled status for free within the time limits?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

HS007
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by HS007 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:46 am

We did not know that I could or should apply for it. Even when my wife applied for her and my daughters settled status we never noticed that I should apply as well. Looks like that ship has sailed now so looking at what steps I should take now going forward

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:20 am

Your card has no value at all and you do not have any legal status in the UK. The UK left the EU on 1 Jan 2021 and all the EU legislation ceased to exist. Your residence card has no validity at all, despite its expiry date. You should have applied under the EU settlement scheme and acquired pre-settled status (or settled status) before the deadline. Only time spent before 1 Jan 2021 under EU legislation counts for ILR under the long residence, assuming your partner was exercising treaty rights during such period.

Since 1 Jan 2021, the EU legislation is gone and any lawful residence time must have been spent under UK immigration rules ONLY. You'd probably have to acquire a new status under the family route and start your lawful residence from scratch
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

vinny

Re: Permanent residence card to Indefinite leave to remain

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:20 am

Some thoughts.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Permanent residence card to Indefinite leave to remain

Post by MuhammadM86 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:45 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:20 am
Some thoughts.
Go ahead and apply for the SS now and put enough reasons on why you didn't apply within the allowed time frame. Proper covering letter, you may want to consult with an immigration solicitors. There must be a way round it, they aren't going to kick you out of the country for sure.