ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When to apply for FLR(M) - website contradicts call centre!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

msnz
Newly Registered

When to apply for FLR(M) - website contradicts call centre!

Post by msnz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi guys,

Starting to think about renewing my wife's 2 year spousal visa (I'm a UK citizen) later in the year. She doesn't want to bother with the Life In The UK test (not planning on being here beyond another 2-3 years), so I understand FLR(M) is the way to go.

Problem is, the Home Office website states that you must apply at least 4 weeks BEFORE the visa expires. I spoke to the call centre helpline, who said no, you must apply WITHIN the last 4 weeks leading to expiry... which is correct? They're quite different scenarios!

Reason I ask is that we are looking at travelling around this time, and want to know if we can apply 2-3 months early before the visa actually expires... if so, will they let us book an in-person appointment? Again, the call centre man said in-person appointments only available for applicants within 28 days of expiry, which is not stated on the website at all, it says all qualifying applications can use this service.

Can we just renew via FLR(M) with a letter stating she has not been able to complete the Life in the UK test in this scenario (it's cheaper than ILR)? This should tide us over at least 2 years - is this a fixed amount they grant the extension for? When she got her initial visa in New Zealand, she was told that an extension should be granted for 3 years, at which time she can apply for naturalisation.. this does not seem to be the case now here in the UK.

I tried emailing the Home Office as per their website - 2 different addresses - both bounced back! What a great service!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts :D

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:43 pm

You can only apply in person within 28 days of the expiry of the visa. Bear in mind that you can request the full extension of 2 years on FLR but they do not have to grant you 2 years. They may query why your wife has English as a first language but hasn't been able to take the test.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.