ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to India with British passport and e-visa whilst OCI is in process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dewdrops1420

Travel to India with British passport and e-visa whilst OCI is in process

Post by dewdrops1420 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:07 pm

Hi,

I got an email saying my AN registration is successful and I can attend citizenship ceremony on 11-dec.But I'm going to travel to India on 08-Feb and I wonder if I can get OCI card before that?

Could someone please answer my below questions?

1.Can I apply for OCI card and if I'm not getting it before 01-Feb,I will apply for e-visa around 01-Feb?
or
2.Can I surrender my Indian passport and then apply for e-visa to India with just the British passport and without taking chance on OCI card application?
3.Could someone please send me the link for applying e-visa to India.
4.Can I apply for British passport after surrendering Indian passport?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travel to India with British passport and e-visa whilst OCI is in process

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:10 pm

Topic moved to the correct sub forum as these questions are not relevant to the British Citizenship sub forum.

Also note that you need a British passport before you can apply for an e-visa or OCI. You might not have your British passport in time. December is peak season.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:59 am

Hi dewdrops1420, Congrats on your successful AN registration. I’m in a similar situation like you and have sorted out my travel for Jan first week.

My timeline : I got my approval mail for British Citizenship on Oct 23rd 2023, had private ceremony on Oct 24th , After ceremony applied for British passport on Oct 24th (you need to send your Indian passport and Naturalisation certificate so don’t surrender your Indian passport before applying British Passport). British Passport and supporting documents received on Nov 3rd. Surrendered Indian passport on Nov 6th (VFS Hounslow) and received surrender certificate on Nov 09th 11:00am. You can apply for Indian e-visa only after surrender certificate. So applied for e-visa on Nov 09 03:00pm. E-visa for one year received on Nov 10th 11:00am. Applied for Renunciation certificate on Nov 14th (VFS Goswell). Renunciation certificate is a new step introduced from this September. This is needed before OCI application. I will explain the process and my experience in a separate thread. Renunciation certificate take up to 8 weeks but we can apply for OCI with receipt from appointment of Renunciation certificate. So I applied for OCI on Nov 17th (VFS Hounslow).

Answer for your questions :
1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html#
4 - No, you need to send your original Indian passport and Naturalisation certificate for British Passport application.

Hope it helps, Good luck.

Art87ee
United Kingdom

Post by Art87ee » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:55 pm

DineshSRD wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:59 am
Hi dewdrops1420, Congrats on your successful AN registration. I’m in a similar situation like you and have sorted out my travel for Jan first week.

My timeline : I got my approval mail for British Citizenship on Oct 23rd 2023, had private ceremony on Oct 24th , After ceremony applied for British passport on Oct 24th (you need to send your Indian passport and Naturalisation certificate so don’t surrender your Indian passport before applying British Passport). British Passport and supporting documents received on Nov 3rd. Surrendered Indian passport on Nov 6th (VFS Hounslow) and received surrender certificate on Nov 09th 11:00am. You can apply for Indian e-visa only after surrender certificate. So applied for e-visa on Nov 09 03:00pm. E-visa for one year received on Nov 10th 11:00am. Applied for Renunciation certificate on Nov 14th (VFS Goswell). Renunciation certificate is a new step introduced from this September. This is needed before OCI application. I will explain the process and my experience in a separate thread. Renunciation certificate take up to 8 weeks but we can apply for OCI with receipt from appointment of Renunciation certificate. So I applied for OCI on Nov 17th (VFS Hounslow).

Answer for your questions :
1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html#
4 - No, you need to send your original Indian passport and Naturalisation certificate for British Passport application.

Hope it helps, Good luck.
How did you answer the question about whether you have been to India, because it asks for that in the evisa form along with visa number? Did you answer no to skip the visa number.

boykingin
Newly Registered

Post by boykingin » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:52 pm

DineshSRD wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:59 am

Applied for Renunciation certificate on Nov 14th (VFS Goswell). Renunciation certificate is a new step introduced from this September. This is needed before OCI application. I will explain the process and my experience in a separate thread. Renunciation certificate take up to 8 weeks but we can apply for OCI with receipt from appointment of Renunciation certificate. So I applied for OCI on Nov 17th (VFS Hounslow).
Thanks DineshSRD, this is very useful. I wasn’t aware you could apply for OCI with receipt from the Renunciation appointment. I was under the impression you need the renunciation certificate for OCI. How did you know about this - Is there any information online that confirms this?
Also, do you know if your OCI application will be processed on regular timeframe or will it be delayed until after your renunciation certificate comes through?

Thanks.

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:00 pm

Hi Art87ee - Yes, I provided no to that question “Have you been to India before”. If answered yes, we need enter previous visa number. I think the question should be clear “ Have you been to India before on a visa/e-visa ?”

Hi Boykingin - There is no online information stating this. I was told in VFS Hounslow by the counsellor whilst submitting Surrender Certificate. During my renunciation appointment, it was confirmed. In Renunciation appointment,VFS Goswell counsellor accompanies you when you meet HCI officer, she confirms to everyone that we can apply for OCI with the receipt. I have applied for OCI, it is acknowledged and in Under-Process status now, received the supporting documents yesterday. I specifically asked for the timeline and VFS Hounslow counsellor said somewhere around 8 weeks (for both Renunciation and OCI to arrive). I will update this forum once I receive an update.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:01 pm

Thank you!
So I have a query. Can I apply for OCI after submitting renunciation and take a chance to see if I would receive it before travel to India in Feb 2024?
Incase,I don't receive the OCI before Feb,I can apply for e visa. Is that fine?

Also if I apply for renunciation, can my son travel to India in Indian passport. He has just applied for his MN1.

Thanks

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:16 am

Hi dewdrops1420,

1) For first question - "Can I apply for OCI after submitting renunciation and take a chance to see if I would receive it before travel to India in Feb 2024?" - Yes. But most definitely you won’t receive it before Feb 2024. There is a huge backlog, as applications from Oct/Nov 2023 are still pending.

2) For second question - "I don't receive the OCI before Feb, I can apply for e visa. Is that fine?" - Yes. You can apply for e-visa when OCI is in progress.

3) For third question - "if I apply for renunciation, can my son travel to India in Indian passport. He has just applied for his MN1" - What is your son's age ? He might be impacted by the renunciation rule under Section 8 - that states "Indian citizens desiring to renounce the citizenship of India may please note that if any person(either FATHER OR MOTHER) ceases to be a citizen of India under sub - section (1) of Section 8 of the Citizenship Act, 1955, every minor child of that person shall cease to be a citizen of India under sub - section(2) of Section 8 of the Citizenship Act, 1955.However, such child may, within one year after attaining full age, make a declaration in the prescribed form and manner that he/she wishes to resume Indian Citizenship."

Good luck.

immg83
Mood:
India

Post by immg83 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:01 pm

Hi @dewdrops1420,

You mentioned that your naturalization ceremony was planned on 11the Dec.If i assume that you have already done that then you have the naturalization certificate with you.

Keeping your travel plan in mind to India on 8th Feb i would suggest the following.
1. Don't apply for British passport
2. Don't apply for Indian passport surrender
3. Don't apply for renunciation certificate
3. Travel to India on your Indian passport. Rules allows you to use your indian passport for 3 months after acquiring foreign nationality. You acquired British nationality on 11th Dec (ceremony date is the date when you become the British citizen). You can use the Indian passport until 10th March 2023 but this is only applicable if you don't have other nationality passport (British passport). So, If you apply for British passport now and you receive the British passport before 8th Feb (your travel date to India) then you can't use indian passport for travel to India.

After British passport, only way to travel to India would be via OCI or eVisa. I don't believe you can get the OCI by 8th Feb so only option left is eVisa and to apply eVisa you need to cancel your india passport (surrender it). So if you surrender your indian passport and get the cert before your travel date and then apply for eVisa then you are Ok to travel.

So, I would suggest you to delay your British passport process and do it once you are back in UK.

P.S.: See the HCI london FAQ question #13 for 3 months grace period on using the indian passport for travel
https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/commo ... e-queries/

har3601
Newly Registered
India

Post by har3601 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:41 am

Good morning,

I have my OCI appointment on the 20th Dec. Can I please check the following;

(i) do they retain the originals with them? Especially UK passpprt as I am travelling on 22nd Dec.

(ii) do they need a copy of surrender certificate and original Indian passport with surrender seal

(iii) I have a renunciation appointment on the same day i.e. 20th Dec in the evening. I have got the payment receipt hence booked the OCI apppointment before renunciation appt. Is that going to be an issue?

Thank you for the help

Thanks
Hari

immg83
Mood:
India

Post by immg83 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:06 am

immg83 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:01 pm
Hi @dewdrops1420,

You mentioned that your naturalization ceremony was planned on 11the Dec.If i assume that you have already done that then you have the naturalization certificate with you.

Keeping your travel plan in mind to India on 8th Feb i would suggest the following.
3. Travel to India on your Indian passport. Rules allows you to use your indian passport for 3 months after acquiring foreign nationality. You acquired British nationality on 11th Dec (ceremony date is the date when you become the British citizen). You can use the Indian passport until 10th March 2023 but this is only applicable if you don't have other nationality passport (British passport). So, If you apply for British passport now and you receive the British passport before 8th Feb (your travel date to India) then you can't use indian passport for travel to India.

After British passport, only way to travel to India would be via OCI or eVisa. I don't believe you can get the OCI by 8th Feb so only option left is eVisa and to apply eVisa you need to cancel your india passport (surrender it). So if you surrender your indian passport and get the cert before your travel date and then apply for eVisa then you are Ok to travel.

So, I would suggest you to delay your British passport process and do it once you are back in UK.

P.S.: See the HCI london FAQ question #13 for 3 months grace period on using the indian passport for travel

P.P.S.: One observation - If travelled on Indian passport then when returning to UK which document you will show ? ILR BRP becomes invalid after naturalisation certificate issued. Will naturalisation certificate work at immigration in india and UK ?

Now I am also thinking its not a good idea to travel to India on indian passport but travel on eVisa.

Apologies for more confusion but wanted to clarify this.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:51 pm

immg83 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:06 am
immg83 wrote:
Hi @dewdrops1420,

P.P.S.: One observation - If travelled on Indian passport then when returning to UK which document you will show ? ILR BRP becomes invalid after naturalisation certificate issued. Will naturalisation certificate work at immigration in india and UK ?

Now I am also thinking its not a good idea to travel to India on indian passport but travel on eVisa.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I’m planning to apply for e visa once i get the British passport and surrender certificate.We cannot enter back to UK after getting british citizenship as we need to surrender the brp card.

Also if we renounce indian citizenship, will my son’s citizenship automatically grts cancelled? He is 13 yr old. Can’t understand the section8 rule. Can anyone clarify please.

Thanks

immg83
Mood:
India

Post by immg83 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:33 pm

Hi,

Apologies couldn't get back on time.

"Also if we renounce indian citizenship, will my son’s citizenship automatically grts cancelled? He is 13 yr old. Can’t understand the section8 rule. Can anyone clarify please."
- After you renounce, your child's India citizenship will be cancelled as per the section (2) of section 8 of the Citizenship Act, 1955.

Your child can reapply for indian citizenship after full age (18 years of age) and apply under below section
Declaration of Intention to Resume Indian Citizenship Under Section 8(2) of the Act made by a person

Section (2) of Section 8 Indian of the Citizenship Act, 1955
citizens desiring to renounce the citizenship of India may please note that if any person(either FATHER OR MOTHER) ceases to be a citizen of India under sub - section (1) of Section 8 of the Citizenship Act, 1955, every minor child of that person shall cease to be a citizen of India under sub - section(2) of Section 8 of the Citizenship Act, 1955.However, such child may, within one year after attaining full age, make a declaration in the prescribed form and manner that he/she wishes to resume Indian Citizenship.

thevar
India

Post by thevar » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:16 pm

dewdrops1420 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:51 pm
immg83 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:06 am
immg83 wrote:
Hi @dewdrops1420,

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I’m planning to apply for e visa once i get the British passport and surrender certificate.We cannot enter back to UK after getting british citizenship as we need to surrender the brp card.

Also if we renounce indian citizenship, will my son’s citizenship automatically grts cancelled? He is 13 yr old. Can’t understand the section8 rule. Can anyone clarify please.

Thanks
Hi dewdrops1420,

Would you mind sharing how you went about your son's citizenship issue after renouncing your citizenship. If he loses his India citizenship, how does that affect his UK stay and future India travel. I am in the same boat (almost) and hence seeking your views and inputs.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:13 pm

I just surrendered my Indian passport and didn't apply for renunciation. I'm travelling to India ,so after coming back and once my son gets his British passport, I will renunciate with him. I will apply for e-visa to goto India.

thevar
India

Post by thevar » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:20 pm

dewdrops1420 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:13 pm
I just surrendered my Indian passport and didn't apply for renunciation. I'm travelling to India ,so after coming back and once my son gets his British passport, I will renunciate with him. I will apply for e-visa to goto India.
Thanks dewdrops1420, this helps a lot! :)

srr
Newly Registered
India

Post by srr » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:15 pm

Hi, I had few questions related to similar topic. My kids have just got british passport and we have travel planned to India soon- planing to apply for evisa for them.
1. My understanding is we can apply for evisa without surrender certificate. Is that right?
2. They will travel on british passport. Is it ok if we surrender the indian passport once back- it would be over 3 months since their naturalisation. Would that be an issue-should i rather submit online application before expiry of 3 mths and take physical appointment for sureender once back?
Look forward to guidance. Thanks

BashirB
United Kingdom

Post by BashirB » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:28 am

srr wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:15 pm
Hi, I had few questions related to similar topic. My kids have just got british passport and we have travel planned to India soon- planing to apply for evisa for them.
1. My understanding is we can apply for evisa without surrender certificate. Is that right? Correct, you can apply eVisa on British Passport. In the question where it asks if you have been to India before, select No
2. They will travel on british passport. Is it ok if we surrender the indian passport once back- it would be over 3 months since their naturalisation. Would that be an issue-should i rather submit online application before expiry of 3 mths and take physical appointment for sureender once back? As long as the Indian passport is not used, you can delay surrender up to 3 years. After that there is penalty to pay (currently £160).
Look forward to guidance. Thanks

srr
Newly Registered
India

Post by srr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:56 pm

Thanks.
To your answer on the first question, my kids have travelled to India before multiple times on Indian passport. Wouldnt answering No in that case be incorrect?

BashirB
United Kingdom

Post by BashirB » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:20 pm

srr wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:56 pm
Thanks.
To your answer on the first question, my kids have travelled to India before multiple times on Indian passport. Wouldnt answering No in that case be incorrect?
To the Indian government, your child with British passport is a different being to the one who had an Indian passport. The British passport holder has never entered India before.

Many members have also called HCI London and have got the same answer to put No.

srr
Newly Registered
India

Post by srr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:50 pm

This is helpful, thank you for clarifying.

srr
Newly Registered
India

Post by srr » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:23 am

Hi, I had another question related to evisa- Is it granted from the date of processing or date of planned travel? And hence when is the best time to apply for it - as close to your actual travel date?