ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

status from a divorce

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dowew
Newly Registered

status from a divorce

Post by Dowew » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:20 am

My fathers mother (my paternal grandmother) was born in Scotland and game to Canada in the 1950s. Although she married a Canadian citizen around that time she only naturalized in the early 90s when she found she could no longer vote as a British citizen.

My father was born in 1958, long before women could pass citizenship by descent onto foreign born children. With the Citizenship, Borders and Immigration Bill being debated, I understand that if this passes my father will be permitted to register as a citizen by decent.

My parents divorced in the late 1990s after being married for 20 years.

My mother has never remarried and is a Canadian citizen. He has since remarried to a Canadian citizen.

My question is, will my father's citizenship be "retroactive"...so that my mother will have been married to a British citizen?

If so, how would this affect her? I gather she would not be a British citizen, but would she have right of abode?