ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

uk2233
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation queries

Post by uk2233 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:09 pm

Hello My current nationality is Indian. I received my ILR last week.
My husband is British citizen from last 5 years. can I apply for Naturalization straightaway or do I need to wait for 1 year?
If I can apply straightaway, Do i need to be in the UK on the day of application 5 years back or 3 years back or both 5 years and 3 years back?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Naturalisation queries

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:02 am

You can apply now under Section 6(2). You need to have been in the UK 3 years ago (eg if you apply on the 3 December 2024 you need to have been physically in the uk on the 4 December 2021).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

uk2233
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by uk2233 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:53 am

Hello Thanks for your reply. So if I want to apply on 2 Feb 2024 I need to be in the UK on 1 Feb 2021? that's how 3 years will be calculated?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:17 am

uk2233 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:53 am
Hello Thanks for your reply. So if I want to apply on 2 Feb 2024 I need to be in the UK on 1 Feb 2021? that's how 3 years will be calculated?
Yes

This is explained in the AN guidance here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... bookmark10
Recommend you review the whole of the document - this is the official guidance. There is no specific calculation it's just a count of calendar days.

Quote:
"If you are applying under section 6(2), as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen, you must have been in the UK exactly 3 years before your application was received. For example, if your application is received on 05/05/2021, you should have been physically present in the UK on 06/05/2018."
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:21 am

uk2233 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:53 am
No - 3 Feb 2021, in case that makes any difference. Do review the guidance that @alterhase has linked in his post too.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

uk2233
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by uk2233 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:06 pm

Hello Thanks for your reply. One more quick question please regarding a question in online form.

There is a question on the online form: "Date your partner was granted citizenship" is this the date on the naturalisation certificate or is this the start date on my partner's British passport?

Thanks in advance for great help as always.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:10 pm

uk2233 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:06 pm
Hello Thanks for your reply. One more quick question please regarding a question in online form.

There is a question on the online form: "Date your partner was granted citizenship" is this the date on the naturalisation certificate or is this the start date on my partner's British passport?

Thanks in advance for great help as always.
Date on certificate, which is the same date as the ceremony attended, when someone becomes British.

Passport is just a travel document.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

uk2233
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by uk2233 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:14 pm

Thanks for your reply. the form also asks for my husband's citizenship certificate reference number. On his Naturalisation certificate there are 2 numbers "Certificate number" & "reference number" they both are numbers and do not contain alphabets. Which one of them should i write for the answer of this question please?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:24 pm

The one made of 8 numbers that appears first, the other one is the UAN of the citizenship application.

uk2233
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by uk2233 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:54 pm

I have two numbers: "Certificate Number" which is of 7 digits all numbers. Under this there is a "Reference Number" which is of 9 digits all numbers. Which one to use please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:58 pm

Certificate number
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

uk2233
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by uk2233 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm

Hello,

One more quick question please,

For references I am, asking my accountant as 1st referee. So in the question: How does the referee know the applicant? can i write: As my accountant?

Thanks in advance as always for the great help!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:59 pm

Yes you can say that, or if he’s a friend you could also say that.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

uk2233
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by uk2233 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:00 pm

He is both friend and my accountant

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:01 pm

uk2233 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm
Hello,

One more quick question please,

For references I am, asking my accountant as 1st referee. So in the question: How does the referee know the applicant? can i write: As my accountant?

Thanks in advance as always for the great help!
I has the same situation when I applied and I used my accountant who I knew personally too.
I put, personal and professional relationship.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:14 pm

You can write either way, just inform your referee just in case UKVI contacts them, as they would need to confirm the relationship you have with them, and they need to state the same thing as you did in the application.

readynow
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by readynow » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:42 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:59 pm
Hello alterhase58
many thanks again for your prompt answer well appreciated
I just have one more question as I am still filling out the online British citizenship form and I hope to submit my application today.
in the referee section, the first referee is my pastor in church (minister of religion) and the second is a friend(social worker) both are British citizen
The question How does the referee know the applicant? for the first should I just say " he is my pastor in the church "Will this answer be ok
and for the second referee can I just write that "she is a friend "
your response will be appreciated

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:57 pm

readynow wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:42 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Hello alterhase58
I just have one more question as I am still filling out the online British citizenship form and I hope to submit my application today.
in the referee section, the first referee is my pastor in church (minister of religion) and the second is a friend(social worker) both are British citizen
The question How does the referee know the applicant? for the first should I just say " he is my pastor in the church "Will this answer be ok
No harm I both responses of yours as that is exactly how you know each other.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:16 pm

readynow wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
Hello alterhase58
Say that, and inform them of your answers. in the (rare) case that the HO gets in touch with them, they will be asked to confirm their relationship to you, so it's best they state exactly what you wrote on the form.

readynow
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by readynow » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:37 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:16 pm
readynow wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
Hello alterhase58
Say that, and inform them of your answers. in the (rare) case that the HO gets in touch with them, they will be asked to confirm their relationship to you, so it's best they state exactly what you wrote on the form.
Thank you so much contorted_svy i appreciate from my heart

readynow
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by readynow » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:37 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:16 pm
readynow wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
Hello alterhase58
Thank you so much contorted_svy i appreciate from my heart