ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

P21s for Naturalisation application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

strongbow
Member of Standing

P21s for Naturalisation application

Post by strongbow » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 am

My wife will be applying for Irish naturalisation shortly and she will need to submit P21s as usual.
We are being jointly assessed for tax purposes since 2006 onwards. It seems that Revenue have now changed their policy wherein P21s are being issued only to the primary person being assessed (me in this instance). When my wife requested for P21s she got P21s in my name with the salaries and employers of both of us mentioned in the P21. However the P21 does not state her name at all--only her employer name and salary is mentioned. When we checked with Revenue they said that they provide P21s only for the primary person being assessed.

1. Has anyone faced this situation before? If so any idea on how to get this resolved?
2. I don't know if DoJ will accept a P21 with only my name on it, rather than my wife's for her naturalisation application.. any ideas here.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: P21s for Naturalisation application

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 am

strongbow wrote:My wife will be applying for Irish naturalisation shortly and she will need to submit P21s as usual.
We are being jointly assessed for tax purposes since 2006 onwards. It seems that Revenue have now changed their policy wherein P21s are being issued only to the primary person being assessed (me in this instance). When my wife requested for P21s she got P21s in my name with the salaries and employers of both of us mentioned in the P21. However the P21 does not state her name at all--only her employer name and salary is mentioned. When we checked with Revenue they said that they provide P21s only for the primary person being assessed.

1. Has anyone faced this situation before? If so any idea on how to get this resolved?
2. I don't know if DoJ will accept a P21 with only my name on it, rather than my wife's for her naturalisation application.. any ideas here.
does your wife kept all her P60s from before? coz P60 will show that she is or was paying tax as well. and if the revenue office insist they cant issue anything with your wife's name, get it in writing and send it with your wife P60s along with her application

Heybabyy

Post by Heybabyy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:31 am

What Revenue say is correct as you are jointly assessed. There is no issue with the P21 you have got. There is no need to worry even if the P21 is addressed in your name. If you see carefully the details on P21, there must be information on spouse's employer and income etc. This is sufficient for DoJ.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:05 am

@mktsoi - Yes my wife has all the P60s, but I think DoJ needs the P21s as well.
@Heybabyy - The strange thing is that the P21 has her employer name and salary but does not have her name or PPS No, which is why I think DoJ will have issue with this.

Surely someone else will have faced this problem as well.
I just want to make sure that the DoJ is getting all the documents they need right when she is applying for the naturalisation--even with the right docs they are taking 3 yrs.

Heybabyy

Post by Heybabyy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:53 pm

As I said earlier "Don't worry". P21 has a standard format for everyone. Once your wife applies, DoJ would probably know from their records (on basis of your application) that she is your wife and they already have all your details. If they have any issues, they will come back to you. Chances are they won't for P21.

Secondly, are you on verge of getting citizenship? If yes, can't your wife wait and apply as "spouse of irish citizen". The queue for that is much faster and simpler.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:38 pm

@Heybabyy - I'll go with this and see what happens.
In relation to
Secondly, are you on verge of getting citizenship? If yes, can't your wife wait and apply as "spouse of irish citizen". The queue for that is much faster and simpler.
Yes I am on the verge of citizenship, but my understanding is that in order to apply as spouse of Irish citizen, we both have to be living together for 3 years in Ireland after I get citizenship, so that's another 3 years from the next 2 months or so. Is this not correct? She will qualify to apply in her own right in the next few months. I will go for whichever is quicker.

Heybabyy

Post by Heybabyy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:01 pm

I have my friends in england who got their british citizenship first. Then their wives then applied on the basis of "married to British" and got approval straightaway. The rules here may be same or different ........ I don't know. Looking at the timeframes for processing here, it is worth clarifying from INIS/DoJ/Citizen information/Solicitor etc.

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Here's the provisional leaflet with explanations:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Irish_Ci ... _nov08.pdf

My understanding is that as long as you have been married for 3 years, your wife can apply as Spouse of Irish Citizen, even if you have been an Irish Citizen for 1 day...

But I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly... I think you should ask INIS directly.

Heybabyy

Post by Heybabyy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Yes, that makes sense - it is 3 years of marriage that is important.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:36 pm

LuasPassenger wrote:Here's the provisional leaflet with explanations:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Irish_Ci ... _nov08.pdf

My understanding is that as long as you have been married for 3 years, your wife can apply as Spouse of Irish Citizen, even if you have been an Irish Citizen for 1 day...

But I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly... I think you should ask INIS directly.
yes, you got that right. INIS can do whatever they want. remember the word------> discretion? the minister has discretionary to give you whatever he/she wants with the rubber stamp :D