ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC straight after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

asingh42
United Kingdom

BC straight after ILR

Post by asingh42 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:20 pm

Hi guys my wife has recently been approved ILR and I am making plans to apply for her British Citizenship.

I have few queries if anyone could be kind enough to inform me.

1. My wife can apply for BC day after 5 years completed in the UK? ( I am a British Citizen myself)
2. Can she travel on her current passport and BRP while the BC application is in process?

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: BC straight after ILR

Post by MuhammadM86 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:26 pm

Yes to both. Note that it would be good to travel after submitting the biometrics. Good luck

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:11 pm

asingh42 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:20 pm
Hi guys my wife has recently been approved ILR and I am making plans to apply for her British Citizenship.

I have few queries if anyone could be kind enough to inform me.

1. My wife can apply for BC day after 5 years completed in the UK? ( I am a British Citizen myself)
2. Can she travel on her current passport and BRP while the BC application is in process?
She can apply with 3 years of proof of residence (as well as other requirements, check the official guidance)
She must be in the UK when she submits and has the biometrics appointment but can travel while she waits for the outcome.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

asingh42
United Kingdom

Post by asingh42 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Thanks for your replies, I am currently uploading documents for BC application and would appreciate if any one could help on the following.

1. Most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment. (Will 2022 tax return suffice as 2023 currently not filed yet, and what is tax year account statement?)

2. Proof of living in the UK for xxxxxxx for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen. ( What sort of proof to provide, do I just upload the passport as that has travel stamps?)

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:34 pm

No, you have to file for 2023. You have to generate the SA032 and attach the tax return.
Passport with Travel stamps is ok.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:10 pm

asingh42 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm
Thanks for your replies, I am currently uploading documents for BC application and would appreciate if any one could help on the following.

1. Most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment. (Will 2022 tax return suffice as 2023 currently not filed yet, and what is tax year account statement?) Not required

2. Proof of living in the UK for xxxxxxx for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen. ( What sort of proof to provide, do I just upload the passport as that has travel stamps?)
BC application requires minimal documents. Employment isn't a requirement.

Things you need,
Proof of freedom from immigration restriction - ILR
Proof of residency in the UK - Passport if stamped when wife enters. (To cover the last 3 years)
Proof of marriage to a British citizen
British spouse passport - copies
Referees

Not sure if I've missed anything out.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:05 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:10 pm
asingh42 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm

1. Most recent tax year account statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment. (Will 2022 tax return suffice as 2023 currently not filed yet, and what is tax year account statement?) Not required
Employment isn't a requirement, but if you select you are self-employed you are required to submit most recent tax return and statement of accounts. If you select you are employed you need to provide the tax reference number of your employer.