ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Genuine and subsisting marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Becks149
United Kingdom

Genuine and subsisting marriage

Post by Becks149 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:28 am

Hello

I need some advice for a friend.

Her husband came to the UK in July 2021 on a spouse visa. Due to personal issues, they never stayed together for the initial 2 years so he lived in London and worked there. Recently in Aug 2023 he has moved in with her. His 2.5 year visa expires somewhere early in Feb/March. Is it a possibility that his extension visa is refused because their relationship may not be perceived as genuine or subsisting? If the Home Office find out that they never lived together as husband and wife for 2 years, will that affect his application? Suppose, his visa is refused and he has been given a chance to appeal, can he continue staying in the UK until the appeal decision or will he be asked to leave the UK? Also, they have no joint accounts/statements etc. to support their relationship.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Genuine and subsisting marriage

Post by Ticktack » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:49 am

Becks149 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:28 am
Hello

I need some advice for a friend.

Her husband came to the UK in July 2021 on a spouse visa. Due to personal issues, they never stayed together for the initial 2 years so he lived in London and worked there. Recently in Aug 2023 he has moved in with her. His 2.5 year visa expires somewhere early in Feb/March. Is it a possibility that his extension visa is refused because their relationship may not be perceived as genuine or subsisting? If the Home Office find out that they never lived together as husband and wife for 2 years, will that affect his application? Suppose, his visa is refused and he has been given a chance to appeal, can he continue staying in the UK until the appeal decision or will he be asked to leave the UK? Also, they have no joint accounts/statements etc. to support their relationship.
It's an unusual situation. Most families stay away due to work for short periods, or run one home and one work zone. But if I understand you clearly, they never lived together akin to marriage.
In my honest opinion, it seems he's moved in now to try to remedy this in preparation for his extension. If you and I can see though this move, so can the HO.
If he's refused, he most likely would be given a right of appeal in country and he can keep fighting his cause.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!