ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cabin crew whilst on spouse visa and looking to gain citizenship

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pudge1234
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Cabin crew whilst on spouse visa and looking to gain citizenship

Post by Pudge1234 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:41 pm

Hi there, we are currently waiting for my wife's spouse visa extension to be approved, after spending 2.5 years here already. After this, we will look to stay for another 2.5 years and apply for citizenship.

Once the new visa comes through, my wife wants to apply and work as a cabin crew, which would be based in the UK and would fly long haul between the UK and Hong Kong.

This would result in time out of the country (for work) when she has to stay over in Hong Kong as part of the flight. From speaking to numerous cabin crew, passports are not stamped when they leave or enter the country for work, so this would not necessarily be recorded.

My questions are:

1) Is this type of employment OK whilst on the spouse visa?
2) Will this type of employment affect the chance of citizenship after 5 years?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Cabin crew whilst on spouse visa and looking to gain citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:52 pm

1. Just to be clear,shr needs to apply fpr ILRbefore she can apply for british citizenship.

2. She can do any work on a spouse visa.

3. While there is no absence limit for her on her Spouse visa and for ILR, british citizenship does have absence limits and extended absences could cause delays in an application and could poyentially result in a refusal.

All absences have to be declared for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

777GE90
United Kingdom

Post by 777GE90 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:36 pm

Someone with more knowledge can correct me, but another consideration is when you come to actually applying for citizenship, they do look at how much time you spent outside the UK. The allowance is very generous though, see here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... -to-remain
You should not have:

spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the 5 years before your application
spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
broken any UK immigration laws (for example living illegally in the UK)
I spose every time your partner flies out and stays in the foreign country for X days, it will add up I guess? Will not be fun for the case worker to count all the days lol.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:52 pm

3. While there is no absence limit for her on her Spouse visa and for ILR, british citizenship does have absence limits and extended absences could cause delays in an application and could poyentially result in a refusal.

All absences have to be declared for citizenship.
As CR001 has already advised in an earlier post :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:11 am

777GE90 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:36 pm
Someone with more knowledge can correct me, but another consideration is when you come to actually applying for citizenship, they do look at how much time you spent outside the UK. The allowance is very generous though, see here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... -to-remain
You should not have:

spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the 5 years before your application
spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
broken any UK immigration laws (for example living illegally in the UK)
I spose every time your partner flies out and stays in the foreign country for X days, it will add up I guess? Will not be fun for the case worker to count all the days lol.
So applicant to keep track of their entry and exits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... section-61