ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Not able to book Citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sharpec
Newly Registered
India

Not able to book Citizenship ceremony

Post by sharpec » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:40 am

Hello all
I finally received my Home office invitation letter by Email about 2 weeks ago.
I have been trying to book the citizenship ceremony with Tower hamlets (london) for the past few days.
The email does say to give it a day so I presume this is long enough.
The council website needs you to enter the Home office reference number which looks like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx- xxxx (ie 16 digits separated every 4 digits by a dash). It also needs you to enter your name which i am doing exactly as addressed in the email.

However, the website keeps saying
Your record cannot be retrieved. There are a few reasons this could be.

You have inputted the incorrect Home Office reference
You have inputted your name differently to how it appears on the Home Office invitation
You already have a ceremony booked
Your certificate has not been received by us
Is this something of concern ? any advice is appreciated.
thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Not able to book Citizenship ceremony

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:42 am

Try and get in touch with the registry office dealing with ceremonies (it's a council service, not run by the Home Office).
It may be the council hasn't received the certificate yet from the HO - why the system doesn't recognise the ref number.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

atto_lost
Newly Registered
India

Post by atto_lost » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:36 pm

sharpec wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:40 am
Hello all
I finally received my Home office invitation letter by Email about 2 weeks ago.
I have been trying to book the citizenship ceremony with Tower hamlets (london) for the past few days.
The email does say to give it a day so I presume this is long enough.
The council website needs you to enter the Home office reference number which looks like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx- xxxx (ie 16 digits separated every 4 digits by a dash). It also needs you to enter your name which i am doing exactly as addressed in the email.

However, the website keeps saying
Your record cannot be retrieved. There are a few reasons this could be.

You have inputted the incorrect Home Office reference
You have inputted your name differently to how it appears on the Home Office invitation
You already have a ceremony booked
Your certificate has not been received by us
Is this something of concern ? any advice is appreciated.
thanks.
Ceremony will be done at the Local Council where you live and pay Council Tax. It should be same as the one you provided in your application. Every city council has a dedicated number, all that you need to do is call them. You can get those details in council's website

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 pm

atto_lost wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:36 pm
Ceremony will be done at the Local Council where you live and pay Council Tax. It should be same as the one you provided in your application. Every city council has a dedicated number, all that you need to do is call them. You can get those details in council's website
Yes, but it's not linked to where you pay council tax.
Applicants are able to specify a council other than their own, for convenience probably.
Readers may think there's a firm link here. Some people don't pay CT....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kp_17
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kp_17 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:30 am

Also experiencing the same thing, albeit with a different council in London.

Received approval email on 4 Dec, and haven't been able to book ceremony on the council's booking website since then.

Apparently, the council didn't receive my naturalisation certificate and many others' certificates are missing too (although they've been getting weekly deliveries).

They're currently chasing this with the Home Office to try and locate the certificates. If they can't find them, they'll be reprinted.

Quite frustrating, but nothing that can be done apart from waiting.

atto_lost
Newly Registered
India

Post by atto_lost » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:21 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 pm
atto_lost wrote:
Applicants are able to specify a council other than their own, for convenience probably.
Agree to council tax part. However not sure if we can chose different council out of convenience.

kp_17
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kp_17 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:24 am

atto_lost wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:21 am
alterhase58 wrote:
atto_lost wrote:
Agree to council tax part. However not sure if we can chose different council out of convenience.
Yup, you 100% can.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:33 am

atto_lost wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
atto_lost wrote:
Yes, you can select your preferred council when you apply. If you don't select anything it will be the one where your postcode is located It can't be changed after the application is submitted.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

atto_lost
Newly Registered
India

Post by atto_lost » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:51 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:33 am
atto_lost wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
atto_lost wrote:
Yes, you can select your preferred council when you apply. If you don't select anything it will be the one where your postcode is located It can't be changed after the application is submitted.
ok, so in your Citizenship application you need to select right ? My entire point is once your application got approved, depending on the feasibility at that point of time you cannot apply to different council.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:52 am

Yes, that is correct. When you get your acceptance you can't change council from what you have selected when you applied.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

kp_17
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kp_17 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:20 pm

kp_17 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:30 am
Also experiencing the same thing, albeit with a different council in London.

Received approval email on 4 Dec, and haven't been able to book ceremony on the council's booking website since then.

Apparently, the council didn't receive my naturalisation certificate and many others' certificates are missing too (although they've been getting weekly deliveries).

They're currently chasing this with the Home Office to try and locate the certificates. If they can't find them, they'll be reprinted.

Quite frustrating, but nothing that can be done apart from waiting.
We just checked our details tonight (as our council gets certificates delivered on Thursdays), and were able to book our ceremony today.

Good luck to the OP

clawsie
Newly Registered

Post by clawsie » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:08 pm

My council has also not received my certificate yet (Waltham Forest), though they state on their page "it may take at least 2 weeks for certificates to be received". Guess most delays are in the London area. Oh well, more waiting ...

sharpec
Newly Registered
India

Post by sharpec » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:00 pm

To close the loop here (I should have done this earlier - apologies)
I mailed the council directly. I got back an automated reply.
A few days later, I got a reply from an official saying 'try now'
And voila, it worked, and I booked a date. I have attended the ceremony, and have sent off the my non-uk passports. Fingers crossed!

For what it's worth, I waited approx 10 days after the original Home office mail, and then it took another 4-5 days to be able to find my name. Then I got a (free) date about a month away.

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:11 pm

atto_lost wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
atto_lost wrote:
It makes sense to give choice precisely because of factors like convenience... and so there is that option in the application itself to choose local authority. If someone was imminently moving or had a particular attraction to, or work commitments in, a region other than where they live it could be useful option... I suppose some may even choose based on where the guests they want are based.

But threads like this do remind me there seems to be a real problem of timely admin in relation to approved applications... between the Naturalisations service and local authorities it does feel a bit Chuckle Brothers... with things in illogical order creating confusion and difficulties. I ain't looking forward to sorting it out when my partner is approved presumably in spring.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:43 am

sharpec wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:00 pm
To close the loop here (I should have done this earlier - apologies)
I mailed the council directly. I got back an automated reply.
A few days later, I got a reply from an official saying 'try now'
And voila, it worked, and I booked a date. I have attended the ceremony, and have sent off the my non-uk passports. Fingers crossed!

For what it's worth, I waited approx 10 days after the original Home office mail, and then it took another 4-5 days to be able to find my name. Then I got a (free) date about a month away.

Good it has been sorted! Congratulations.

whatever32
Newly Registered
Kazakhstan

Post by whatever32 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:31 am

Weird stuff happened to me. I received an approval on Monday, tried to book my ceremony in Barnet Council, but my payment failed (presumably because of the weak internet connection). After I retried my attempt, the system stopped finding my records :|
Your records cannot be retrieved. Please make sure you enter the full name as it appears on the home office invitation email/letter and Home Office Reference number. Alternatively, your records may have not reached our office so please wait a few days.
I called the council and they said they don't have my records yet, retry on Friday. The question is how it was possible in the first place? Did anyone face the same issue?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:35 am

Seems an issue with your council's website, have you tried giving them a call?

whatever32
Newly Registered
Kazakhstan

Post by whatever32 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:08 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:35 am
Seems an issue with your council's website, have you tried giving them a call?
Yes, I mentioned it in my previous message. I called them the next day

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:52 pm

Try again on Friday as they said, it is annoying but these mistakes happen all the time.