ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Prove of English Proficiency for General Tier -1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Saad Moten
Newly Registered

Prove of English Proficiency for General Tier -1

Post by Saad Moten » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:43 am

I am planning to process the Tier 1 application but before going to process the application I need to clarify the home office / NARIC consent regarding requirement of English language skills under the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General), now I am a little bit confuse for the gaining the 10 points in English requirment section, as I belongs to Pakistan, and I am done my master from local university, and I taught all subjects in English, the problem is that whether should I go for IELTS or NARIC will confirm my English proficiency if I submit my university letter regarding English Proficiency. I already wrote the email to UK Border Agency as NARIC (given below) but got the jumbled reply. I requested to anybody could help me in this regard will be easier for me to take the decision.

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: saqib ahmed <saq1bahmed@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, January 5, 2009 9:39:37 PM
Subject: RE: RE: Query: English language skills under the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General),
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email concerning English language proficiency.

Please note that UK NARIC cannot confirm the medium of instruction to individuals.

UK NARIC is helping the UK Border Agency (UK BA) with qualification equivalency and English language proficiency for the new Points Based System. We are able to help individuals who contact us directly with understanding the level of their qualification when compared to the UK qualification frameworks (through a Letter of Comparability), but we are not able to help individuals who contact us directly with a query about English language proficiency.

The UK BA system uses data that has been compiled by UK NARIC to determine whether a migrant's qualification demonstrates that they have the English language proficiency levels as determined by UK BA. This data has been developed solely for the use by UK BA. The info rmation on the database identifies the institutions that have met the criteria specified by UK BA.

The level of English language proficiency has been determined by whether English was the medium of instruction for the migrant's studies. For more info rmation about the English Language Requirement please see the UK BA's Tier 1 (General) Policy Guidance available on the website at www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk.

UK NARIC will not enter into any communication about English language proficiency with any individual migrant, their employers or their representatives. Should overseas institutions wish to query the decisions made by UK NARIC they can contact us through the usual routes.

You would need to contact the UK BA directly concerning your request for confirmation, as we cannot help you with this matter. I hope this clarifies the situation.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Signe Engkaer
Administration Officer
UK NARIC

t: (0) 871 330 7033
f: (0) 871 330 7005
Oriel House, Oriel Road , Cheltenham , GL50 1XP
www.naric.org.uk
Sent: 26 December 2008 06:16
To: info
Cc: saadmoten@yahoo.com
Subject: Fw: RE: Query: English language skills under the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General),

Dear Sir/Madam
In continuation I need consent from your side that, will the letter confirming my qualification from NARIC will comply for English requirement for General Tier I migration.

Will this letter serve to satisfy UK Visa office that I meet English language the requirement for General Tier I migration.

Your clear direction and response specifically to English language skills under the highly skilled worker category will help me lot to proceed my case in right direction.

Regards

Saqib Ahmed

--- On Wed, 12/24/08, IND Public Enquiries <UKBApublicenquiries@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk> wrote:
From: IND Public Enquiries <UKBApublicenquiries@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk>
Subject: RE: Query: English language skills under the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General),
To: saadmoten@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 4:45 PM
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your enquiry.
If you are unable to find your qualification on the Points Based Calculator, you should contact UK NARIC for an assessment of your qualification. If it is found to meet the requirements, you should obtain a letter or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC confirming this.
If UK Naric cannot confirm that the qualification meets our requirements, no points will be awarded for it. In this case you may wish to offer a different qualification, if you have one, or complete the English language test to fulfil the English language requirement.
The website address for UK NARIC is www.uknaric.org.uk. They can be contacted at 0871 330 7033, or by e-mail at: info@naric.org.uk.
Yours Faithfully,
Maureen Davenport
Immigration Group
UK Border Agency
If you intend to reply to this email please ensure that you send all the information from your original enquiry.

Sent: 22 December 2008 18:06
To: IND Public Enquiries
Subject: Query: English language skills under the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General),
Dear Sir/Madam,
Since I belongs to Pakistan and I have done Masterʼs in Computer Science and I taught all subjects in English now I am planning to process the Tier 1 application but before going to process the application I need to clarify the home office consent regarding requirement of English language skills under the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General),
• As per UKBA web site, if the degree is not obtained from the listed country mentioned on the web site then incumbent have to provide the IELTS or any another way of meeting the English language requirement but subsequently you also authorize UK NARIC for the verification of qualification and satisfies the English language requirement.
I need the clear consent on the above if Iʼll go to UK NARIC with evidence that I have taught all discipline in English, so in that case will UKBA accept that NARIC declaration or still I have to provide any other prove of English or not.
Your clear direction and consent will help me lot to proceed my case in right direction.
Look forward for your prompt response.

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) In case of problems, please call your organisations IT Helpdesk.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.
Unless this email indicates otherwise, it and any files transmitted with
it are private and intended solely for the addressee.
If you have received this email in error please return it to the address
it came from, telling them it is not for you and then delete it from your
system.
Any communications with the Home Office may be recorded and
monitored for lawful purposes.
The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:31 am

NARIC will not confirm your proficiency re English language. They provide data to UKBA directly for the Institutes/Degrees which they think meet the English Language requirement as set by UKBA (which is used by the points calculator).

If the points calculator does not award you points for your Degree in the English Language criteria then you need to take the test.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer