ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Eligibility check for my ILR dependent son while my wife has got British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dineshsethiya
Mood:
United Kingdom

British Citizenship Eligibility check for my ILR dependent son while my wife has got British Citizenship

Post by dineshsethiya » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Hello Members,

I would like to check if my son is eligible to apply for the British Citizenship right now without completing his 5 yrs on the Tier-2 dependent visa and taking the ILR. Our situation is as below as written by my wife:

I am the British citizen and staying in the UK since last 8 years along with my son and husband.We all three came to the UK in 2015 on Tier-2 ICT visa. My husband was the primary applicant and me and my son were dependent to him, then in 2016 I moved to the Tier-2 General visa as primary applicant through my company and completed my five years on this visa in 2021 and got my ILR. Subsequent to that in 2022 I got my British passport and became British Citizen. My husband and son moved to the Tier-2 general visa as my dependent in 2019 and they will complete their five years on this visa in Sept 2024 and then will be eligible for ILR.

Now my question is can my son apply for the British Citizenship right away without completing 5 years as dependent on the tier-2 general visa considering I am (her mother) already a British citizen? Note that my son is studying in the UK since 2015 from the time we came to this country. My son is 18 years old and currently studying in the university as a Home Student.

As per the home office site I know that my husband has to complete 5 yrs and then get ILR before he becomes eligible for the British Citizen but in case of my son things are not very crystal clear written. So any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship Eligibility check for my ILR dependent son while my wife has got British Citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:13 pm

Your son is 18 and therefore an adult and needs to apply for naturalisation for which ILR is required so it seems he can only apply in Sep 2025 after one year on ILR.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship Eligibility check for my ILR dependent son while my wife has got British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:15 pm

No you cant apply for him. He us an adult and muat meet all tbe adult requirements. He needs ilr first and must apply for ilr when your spouse does.

He also has to hold ilr for 12 months before he can apply for british citizenship as an adult.

For ilr and citizenship, he need the english B1 test and LIUK test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.