ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application (EEA Settled Status) - Questions around evidence and EEA registration certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dunois16B
Newly Registered
France

Naturalisation Application (EEA Settled Status) - Questions around evidence and EEA registration certificate

Post by Dunois16B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:11 am

Hello there,

I’m currently putting together an application for British Citizenship and have a few questions around the evidence required by the Home Office.
First a brief overview of my immigration timeline:

Sep 2005 moved to the UK from France to study.

Apr 2007 EEA registration certificate obtained. I subsequently never applied for PR due to fears around CSI and the fact that I wasn’t consistently in employment.

Jan 2019 EEA Settled status obtained.

I m aware that as part of my application form, I am requested to provide 5 years of documentary evidence such as “letters from employers, educational establishments or other government departments, indicating your presence in the UK during the relevant 3- or 5-year period.” Which is where things can become challenging for me.

Between Jan 2018 and Sep 2019 I was living off my savings, unsuccessfully trying to start a business. The business is still active but never made enough money. I have P60s for all my years employed as director of my company, but they show 0 salary.

Between Sep 2019 and Sep 2022 I was on UC while figuring our next steps, attempting to scale the business and eventually looking for a new role in data science.

Since Sep 2022 I am in employment.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it worth mentioning in the application that I held an EEA registration certificate? I have all the details of it and feel that it is right to supply them.
2. Does it make any difference if I apply once I hit 5 years since obtaining Settled Status?
3. For the period until Sep 2019, what will constitute sufficient evidence that I was present in the UK? I can supply P60s from my own company, but for some years they will show 0 salary. I am aware that neither bank statements nor household bills are accepted. Would Council Tax bills be acceptable?
4. For the period I was on UC, what do I need to submit? I have kept all statements/agreements from that time? Should I get a letter from DWP?

Thanks in advance for helping out and Happy New Year in advance :D .

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Naturalisation Application (EEA Settled Status) - Questions around evidence and EEA registration certificate

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:31 am

Here are my questions:

1. Is it worth mentioning in the application that I held an EEA registration certificate? I have all the details of it and feel that it is right to supply them. no. I had one and didn't use it. Not needed.
2. Does it make any difference if I apply once I hit 5 years since obtaining Settled Status? No. you have to apply on a date such that you were in the UK 5 years prior.
3. For the period until Sep 2019, what will constitute sufficient evidence that I was present in the UK? I can supply P60s from my own company, but for some years they will show 0 salary. I am aware that neither bank statements nor household bills are accepted. Would Council Tax bills be acceptable? earnings are not a requirement for naturalisation. if you are self-employed you need to supply the SA302 and the tax calculation for the most recent tax year too. P60s are ok, council tax is ok too. not to worry as you have both and you can choose.
4. For the period I was on UC, what do I need to submit? I have kept all statements/agreements from that time? Should I get a letter from DWP? You can send letters from them. If it's easier you can use council tax if you have it in your name as it covers a whole year so it's fewer docs to upload.
Make sure you are aware and respect all the requirements on the official guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Dunois16B
Newly Registered
France

Re: Naturalisation Application (EEA Settled Status) - Questions around evidence and EEA registration certificate

Post by Dunois16B » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:31 am

Make sure you are aware and respect all the requirements on the official guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
Thank you for your response @contorted_svy much appreciated :D

I would love to have a second opinion too, just in case. Especially around using Council Tax statements as evidence.

I'm already familiar with the guidance, and also with the guidelines for caseworkers too. I'll reread everything once I go back to the application and prepare to submit it.

If I may ask, what did you do for your own documents? Did you scan them yourself when needed, or used the document scanning service which one can use during the biometrics appointment?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:44 pm

Dunois16B wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 pm
contorted_svy wrote:

I would love to have a second opinion too, just in case. Especially around using Council Tax statements as evidence. Council Tax bills a perfectly ok, as well as P60s, letters from employers, only one type of document required. The application doesn't require tons of documents (like some EUSS applicants recommend). Note these requirements haven't changed over many years.

I'm already familiar with the guidance, and also with the guidelines for caseworkers too. I'll reread everything once I go back to the application and prepare to submit it.

If I may ask, what did you do for your own documents? Did you scan them yourself when needed, or used the document scanning service which one can use during the biometrics appointment?I applied when it was still a paper application so can't comment on scanning. Personally I would recommend you scan and load yourself, it's a chargeable service at UKVCAS. My only residency proof was a letter from my employer confirming I was employed by them covering the residency period (I worked for them much longer than that!)

Good luck - it's not a difficult application but understandably applicants get very nervous about everything, not least due to the fee ...again the requirements are more or less as they were when I applied. Also note that about 95% of applicants are approved - reasons for refusal are mainly around not meeting statutory requirements.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:41 am

Dunois16B wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 pm
contorted_svy wrote:

I would love to have a second opinion too, just in case. Especially around using Council Tax statements as evidence.

If I may ask, what did you do for your own documents? Did you scan them yourself when needed, or used the document scanning service which one can use during the biometrics appointment?

You can perfectly scan yourself and upload to the UKVCAS website. Their services are expensive. Because I am an anxious type I had everything on paper and digital, and I went to the appointment with all the paper versions just in case I had forgotten anything or it wasn't visible (I had paid £50 for the document checking service) which in the end wasn't needed. You have until 48 hrs to the appointment to upload everything and if you have forgotten to upload something I believe until 10 pm of the day of the appointment.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Dunois16B
Newly Registered
France

Post by Dunois16B » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:10 pm

Hello All,
Thanks again for all the helpful replies. My application is now sent and my biometrics appointment is on 8th Feb. At long last this is underway!

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:21 pm

Dunois16B wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:10 pm
Hello All,
Thanks again for all the helpful replies. My application is now sent and my biometrics appointment is on 8th Feb. At long last this is underway!
Good luck and all the best! waiting game starts :D