ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel during naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Travel during naturalisation

Post by VirtualWaver » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:04 pm

Hi Guys,

I believe the answer is "Yes" but wanted to double check: my understanding is that it is ok to travel abroad whilst the naturalisation application is in progress.

And even if it gets approved while we are abroad, we can still travel back to the UK with the ILR without issues because the ILR will only be invalidated after attending the citizenship ceremony and obtaining the registration certificate as naturalisation approval alone doesn't invalidate ILR, correct?

Second question, please: what if the naturalisation application will be unsuccessful once we are abroad? It won't cause any issues travelling to the UK, correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travel during naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:15 pm

Free to travel.

Only british once ceremony attended. Until then, you simply hold only ilr.

If refused, nothing happens to your ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:47 pm

VirtualWaver wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:04 pm
Hi Guys,

I believe the answer is "Yes" but wanted to double check: my understanding is that it is ok to travel abroad whilst the naturalisation application is in progress.

And even if it gets approved while we are abroad, we can still travel back to the UK with the ILR without issues because the ILR will only be invalidated after attending the citizenship ceremony and obtaining the registration certificate as naturalisation approval alone doesn't invalidate ILR, correct?

Second question, please: what if the naturalisation application will be unsuccessful once we are abroad? It won't cause any issues travelling to the UK, correct?
Once you attend biometrics you can travel without issues. You will maintain your immigration status throughout. You do have to come back to attend the citizenship ceremony within 3 months of acceptance.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

VirtualWaver
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by VirtualWaver » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:28 pm

Thanks a lot, both! Your answers validated my thoughts. Have a lovely evening ahead!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:55 pm

The email/letter you will receive from UKVI is just a notification that your application has been approved. It doesn't have any other meaning in law. The only document that confers citizenship is the naturalisation certificate which is dated on the ceremony day. So very important, when you get it, treat it well (but don't laminate!), it costs enough! Also remember that nationality applications are separate from immigration. And of course once you have it you don't have to worry about ILR or visa applications any more
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.