ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travel document after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

citizen2b
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

travel document after naturalisation

Post by citizen2b » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:33 pm

hi

After naturalisation I sent my travel document to the home office but I didn't get it back

am I supposed to get it back ?

meself2
Ireland

Re: travel document after naturalisation

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:38 pm

No, why?

Apply for a British passport - this is what you travel with now.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:03 pm

You can use your naturalisation certificate to apply for your first British passport, no need for the travel document. You can apply at https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:35 pm

citizen2b wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:33 pm
hi

After naturalisation I sent my travel document to the home office but I didn't get it back

Just out of interest - where you requested to send it back?
Normally(?) you would submit that (and naturalisation certificate) to HMPO with your British passport application and they would pass it over to the Home Office (HMPO is of course part of the Home Office).
Wondering if there's a change in process.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

MuhammadM86
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MuhammadM86 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:47 pm

I didn’t send mine back and wasn’t requested at all. My application is still outstanding yet I travel etc.

citizen2b
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by citizen2b » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:55 pm

hi friends

upon becoming a British citizen you must return your travel document and brp for official cancellation .

atleast this was my understanding when I sent my travel document and brp to the home office after naturalising .

I was hoping they cancel the passport then return it to me but I have not received it back .

the reason I need that travel document back is because I applied for a first child british passport for my daughter from overseas and the home office has now asked to to see my old travel document ( probably to examine the stamps ).

citizen2b
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by citizen2b » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:57 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:03 pm
You can use your naturalisation certificate to apply for your first British passport, no need for the travel document. You can apply at https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport
I have a British passport now

citizen2b
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by citizen2b » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:37 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:35 pm
citizen2b wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:33 pm
hi

Just out of interest - where you requested to send it back?
Normally(?) you would submit that (and naturalisation certificate) to HMPO with your British passport application and they would pass it over to the Home Office (HMPO is of course part of the Home Office).
Wondering if there's a change in process.
yes it was requested in an email from the home office :

"Once you have received your certificate of British citizenship any Biometric Residence Permit (BRP card) you have will no longer be valid and cannot be used as evidence of your status. If you have a BRP card you should return it for secure destruction. You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

Your BRP card should be cut in half and posted (in a windowless plain envelope) to Biometric Product Returns, IFB, 5th floor Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY. The postage is not refundable.

If you have any travel documents issued by the Home Office, including expired documents, they should be returned to the Home Office in the same envelope for official cancellation.

If you hold refugee status in the UK, you will lose this status once you become a British citizen."

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:38 pm

citizen2b wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:55 pm
hi friends

upon becoming a British citizen you must return your travel document and brp for official cancellation .

atleast this was my understanding when I sent my travel document and brp to the home office after naturalising .

I was hoping they cancel the passport then return it to me but I have not received it back .

the reason I need that travel document back is because I applied for a first child british passport for my daughter from overseas and the home office has now asked to to see my old travel document ( probably to examine the stamps ).
This is a known issue with the HMPO - they request documents that applicants are told to return or destroy by the HO. Have you tried explaining that you were requested to send it back, and attach the official email that asked you to do so?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

citizen2b
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by citizen2b » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:50 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:38 pm
citizen2b wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:55 pm
hi friends

This is a known issue with the HMPO - they request documents that applicants are told to return or destroy by the HO. Have you tried explaining that you were requested to send it back, and attach the official email that asked you to do so?
yes I've written a letter that the travel document was sent back to the home office